Notices

cmi headers

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

im going to try to have my tails modified first...i think they can be tweaked pretty easily to work with what i have. and they are such nice pieces i hate not to use them.

and my CMI tails have the water inlet going into the jacket on the tail right at the joint where they meet the header, not at the end of the tail. it then exits into the exhaust stream through a 5/8 hole inside the tail pipe about an inch from the end of the jacket where the rubber boot connects to the exhaust tip.

the only problem i see as poker-n-run pointed out would possibly be the header-to-tail joint cuppler getting too hot.

whats wrong with runing wet tail pipes? i see alot of boats that have nothing but a 4 foot rubber exhaust hose ruinning from the riser to the transom and it works.....idk...im just thinkinout loud here. and thanks to everyone for the feedback, sometimes what i start with sounding like a great idea gets smacked down because of something i didnt consider.

running the pipes with water being injeted into them (wet tail pipes) should be no different than stock mercruiser or merc 496 exhaust when it comes to water reversion.

and as far as it looking cobbled together.....that depends on who is doing the welding. and yes im sure there are many who would turn their nose up at it no matter how good of a job you did because its not the "right" way to do it.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
im going to try to have my tails modified first...i think they can be tweaked pretty easily to work with what i have. and they are such nice pieces i hate not to use them.

and my CMI tails have the water inlet going into the jacket on the tail right at the joint where they meet the header, not at the end of the tail. it then exits into the exhaust stream through a 5/8 hole inside the tail pipe about an inch from the end of the jacket where the rubber boot connects to the exhaust tip.

the only problem i see as poker-n-run pointed out would possibly be the header-to-tail joint cuppler getting too hot.

whats wrong with runing wet tail pipes? i see alot of boats that have nothing but a 4 foot rubber exhaust hose ruinning from the riser to the transom and it works.....idk...im just thinkinout loud here. and thanks to everyone for the feedback, sometimes what i start with sounding like a great idea gets smacked down because of something i didnt consider.

running the pipes with water being injeted into them (wet tail pipes) should be no different than stock mercruiser or merc 496 exhaust when it comes to water reversion.

and as far as it looking cobbled together.....that depends on who is doing the welding. and yes im sure there are many who would turn their nose up at it no matter how good of a job you did because its not the "right" way to do it.
The reason they dump at end of tail pipe is to reduce any chance of reversion inherent in a true header set up. The ones with the long rubber boots use an anti reversion piece cast into the riser.
You are not the first to try. The coupler would get crazy hot and probably melt the rubber hose were it joins. Not to mention if you put water in at coupler you will have reversion issues. Farther down and tube would be too hot.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 ton...
Not sure if you understand what reversion is.....you can actually draw water back into engine due to valve timing and overlap and a reverse pulse in the exhaust. The reason the tails don't introduce water sooner is keeping it as far from exhaust valves as possible before adding water to exhaust stream. What engine did he install? The camshaft specs will determine if you should even consider a wet exhaust introduced farther forward.

Last edited by supercat; 01-25-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Registered

reversion shouldnt be a problem with the cam thats in the engine. its a 502 bored to 4.5. edelbrock aluminium heads, 112 LS on cam. 850 demon...etc....500-550 hp.

this is not a radical motor at all....not even close. we could run stock merc manifolds if we wanted to.

i understand the point of injecting water into the stream farther down the exhaust pipe.

why does the need to inject the water further down the exhaust stream only apply to headers and not the stock merc exhaust as some are suggesting??? if the same engine and cam doesnt show water reversion using stock merc 496 manifolds then it shouldnt show water reversion running headers. right?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Nobody does what you are suggesting to do. There must be a reason why.........one way is right and one way is not.

If you want to risk your engine, boat and safety, then its up to you.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

lol very true.

ive already conceded that i was def going to go the "right" way....but i just wanted to hear some others take on my thought process.