Prop integrity-metallurgy >

Prop integrity-metallurgy

Notices

Prop integrity-metallurgy

Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prop integrity-metallurgy

Recently purchased a used prop, specifically a 24p Bravo 1.

Upon receiving and inspecting, I noticed some significant pitting and corrosion on 2 of the vanes in the inside. Otherwise the prop looks like new, and the rest of the interior casting looks excellent. But I also noticed you can see a small indented seam extending from the top and the bottom of the blades on the outside of the prop, to the top and bottom of the outside of the prop.

I've had a few other Mercury props and I've never noticed either one of these issues. A small amount of the pitting actually goes clear through to the hollow part of the casting.

Ya'll think I should be concerned? Bad casting? Factory reject maybe? Rebuilt from catastrophe?

Like I said, without close inspection, you'd never notice these imperfections, but before I put it to test, I'd like opinions on the integrity of this prop. Single engine application less than 400hp, low hour freshwater use. Thanks.

Last edited by bigbang; 01-26-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: additions
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pictures???
Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

It's typical. Merc props are hideous. On the other hand, I've yet to see a failure as a direct result of the porous casting.