Notices

540 Issues

Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dbkski
Mr. Gellner - what's up with those intake issues?

Mr. tkach - now you're sounding just like Mr. pslonaker with the
secret sources B.S.

Mr. ROTAX454 - "Oak leaf...." Seems like major butt covering.

Mr. Schmidt - I will support you as well as many others unless or
until you lie about something. Then you will be on your own.

Now let's learn something and quit acting like a bunch of jerkoffs.
dbkski,i assure you i am nothing like pslonaker,what you said would bother me if i gave a chit about anything you have to say,GET IT PUNK@
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by yschmidt
Where is that proof? Haven't seen it yet.
open your eyes ,its right in front of you drip drip drip
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Seems like a raw deal for everyone. But, if you have brand new motors and think something is wrong why are you taking them apart? If you can't build them yourself why are you taking them apart yourself. Why not let your builder figure it out, or am I missing something here. You throw around part #'s and clearences, but you either know what your doing or you don't. If something isn't right go to the guy you paid to build them not a website to find the problem. I just paid over 20k for my new 540's and can't imagine how dissapointed I would be if this happens to me. But I can assure you I would go to my builder right away and I have full confidence he would make it right. That's why I chose him in the first place. If I was you, I would cut the chit and go back to your builder now. It sounds like he's still willing to help. something doesn't add up here
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

mr schmidt,you have answered questions that people asked you with you know what ruined the engine,your attempt to pass the blame on the builder will only fool those who dont have a clue about engines,anyone with knoledge will see right through yourbest thing you can do at this point is to let it go,you know exactly what i am saying,bye the way,good luck finding someone to redo your engine .you have no credability,carry onSTAY TUNED,MORE TO COME FROM MR SCHMIDT,NO FACTS,JUST HIS WORDS OF WISDOME.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

• Inspection on lifters shows: lofting of lifters off cam. lifter wheels show skidding patterns on wheel contact surface. Lifters are not identified by Dealers I.D. on tie bar so there is nothing that can be done with them. Springs too light for the application.
• Cam shows contact areas of lifters lofting off of lobe and indention of wheel in lobe

If the engines never saw more than 5000RPM, and you never ran them hard, I'd think you'd have to have had some some REALLY light springs to cause the problems you are saying. I can see a backyard wrench using the wrong springs, but a guy who has built NHRA, Championship marine race engines, and tons of wicked nitrous fed drag engines? Cmon Dude. As far as I know, the lifters from Morel don't come with labeling on the tie bars. If you get them from PBM, lunati, howards, etc, they would be labeled accordingly, but I am pretty sure Ive never seen a "Morel" labeled on the tie bar.

Ive had numerous conversations in the past with Mr. Gellner about valve springs, engine parts, etc. I recall him recommending Morel Lifters for my build, Isky Tool Room Springs with about 145lbs on the seat....When I was at his shop last month, he had showed me how they will go thru a cylinder head and do a valve job. He was actually doing a set of brodix heads at that time, and the work was looking great. He was very specific on the valve seat work and why it is very important. Granted he's a little mom and Pop operation (literally), he's not building engines for lawnmowers there.

Mr Schmidty, I am assuming here that you brought these engines to a different builder, to have them gone through. Something I have seen, especially with lots of guys who build engines, is they are VERY quick to tell you how badly you've been screwed by the past builder. Engine builders (some not all) rarely ever have anything good to say about the competition, and usually its a pile of crap out of their mouths. They will say "this is wrong, thats wrong, this needs to be changed, thats not gonna work, I wouldnt have used those parts, this guy really screwed you, "" And that sure don't help put the fire out thats already burning.

Dean built the engines, and if they were messing up, I'd have let him make it right. Things happen, I'm sure Jesus Christ even whacked himself in the thumb with a hammer a few times in his carpentry days. All you can ask is that the builder stands behind his work.

If you don't mind sharing, who's gonna be going thru these and making them right for you??? Also, I'm curious who you talked to at Callies that said those crank's were junk because of the Chamfer job? Do you have a part number or spring psi numbers off the springs that were used and the cam #?? The $hitty part here is, we are talking about some naturally aspirated 540's here. I mean we arent talking about some twin turbo 2000hp build....This really should have been cut and dry, and seems like there are lots of facts missing.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Seems like a raw deal for everyone. But, if you have brand new motors and think something is wrong why are you taking them apart? If you can't build them yourself why are you taking them apart yourself. Why not let your builder figure it out, or am I missing something here. You throw around part #'s and clearences, but you either know what your doing or you don't. If something isn't right go to the guy you paid to build them not a website to find the problem. I just paid over 20k for my new 540's and can't imagine how dissapointed I would be if this happens to me. But I can assure you I would go to my builder right away and I have full confidence he would make it right. That's why I chose him in the first place. If I was you, I would cut the chit and go back to your builder now. It sounds like he's still willing to help. something doesn't add up here
Great looking Bullet. I see your from Grand Haven, who did your engines? Dave W?? Those Bullets are really great riding boats for their size, and the cabins are useable!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Great looking Bullet. I see your from Grand Haven, who did your engines? Dave W?? Those Bullets are really great riding boats for their size, and the cabins are useable!
you got it. Dave W.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
you got it. Dave W.
Smart move. Dave is a great builder and a good guy. Enjoy!!!!!

He did a pair of 540's for a friend of mine last year, run awesome. He also did a pair of 598's with blowers a few years back for another friend of mine, also run awesome. I'll be up in South Haven quite a bit this summer, look for the Fountain that says "Mild Thunder" across the back...

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 02-24-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Registered

Heres a quote from Mr. Schmidy from the other site about the builder and how things were going. He posted that in Jan 2009, and the same thread shows the engines assembled and dressed in july 2009.

I know there are a lot of good performance motor builders out there, and Dean Gellner needs to be right at the top of the list. He’s currently working on my rebuilds, and has made it a great experience. There are a lot of motor horror stories out there (why I called Dean w <100 hrs), but Gellner has really been awesome to work with.
His knowledge and attention to detail is incredible. Dean’s worked hard to give us the most bang for the buck, and helped us put the money where it counts. He’s just a no BS kind of guy and has been upfront from the beginning - he’s actually been the voice of reason a few times and helped keep money in my pocket (I’m sure he’ll get it eventually). Dean not only walked us through the process, but he always keeps me up-to-date with progress, and doesn’t mind (at least acts like he doesn’t mind) me stopping by the shop when I’m in town.
Dean and everybody at Gellner Engineering have always treated us great, and really helped make us comfortable, which has made this whole experience better than I could have imagined – and I really feel like we’ve made some new friends.
If you are considering something new, a rebuild or just a freshen, do yourself a favor and give Dean a call. It’s a small shop – and Dean personally ensures the highest quality and attention to detail, so you need to make sure and not wait until the last minute to call.
-Yankey

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...er-Engineering
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

Like i said,stay tuned folks,more to come

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.