Nose cone install >

Nose cone install

Notices

Nose cone install

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose cone install

Im putting a set of leading edge low water pick up nose cones on my 2000 bravo 1's,,, after drilling the 1/2" hole in my case for the pickup tube what will actualy hold the tube in place. Any ifo on the install of these cones would be great. Ive heard all metal works good over the epoxy that holds the cone on what are your thoughts. Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I filled the cone with peanut butter consistency epoxy to the rim and pressed it on with the tube in the right spot. Make sure the angle on the cones are the same i.e. tilted up or down the same for both drives.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I use JB Weld and a ratchet strap to hold it on the drive until it sets.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

So i guess i should use the cone as a jig to drill the hole in the case and then once it is where i want it jb weld the tube in the cone.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Also should i make it fit over till the upper and lower grove in the cone is all the way back against the case. If so i may need to grind on it to fit it does not go on that far as it is. Thanks Guys.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rssteiny
So i guess i should use the cone as a jig to drill the hole in the case and then once it is where i want it jb weld the tube in the cone.
I also was thinking about putting on low water pick up nose cones, a couple of progress pics would be good.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Along this subject - i'm repainting my bravo and have a nose cone kicking around
my boats goes 65 mph will a cone add any speed
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jettdogg
along this subject - i'm repainting my bravo and have a nose cone kicking around
my boats goes 65 mph will a cone add any speed
most of the time they work over 80 mph for speed gains at 65 id say no.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered

From my experience with outboard motors;
if your drive not high enough to need a low water pickup you will loose speed as the low water pickup has more drag than the stock side pickups. I have run stock side pickup on outboards with the prop shaft about 3-4" below the bottom and still had water pressure.
If your boat is not fast enough for the drive to cavitate or blow out the added length of the drive will cause more drag.
The biggest gain outside of good props on a lower unit was working the skeg from what I have seen.
I think the part of the drive that is deepest in the water is the part with the most drag.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there are a lot of people who feel the nosecones actually slow the boat down. look at the fronts of the space shuttle, Acela trains, submarines...they all have a rounded shape similar to the front of the stock drives. they stopped putting needle points on supersonic aircraft in the 50's. and they add stress to the steering as they hang out in front of the steering axis...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.