Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Wrenches are a flying!! Water in Oil! Help!! >

Wrenches are a flying!! Water in Oil! Help!!

Notices

Wrenches are a flying!! Water in Oil! Help!!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiMark Racing
The motor was built to run 7000 but I'm not running it that high cause I don't want to run the fuel or the boost. The prop on there was to big. it was for the last 600 cube plus motor..I propped down to get into my power band and runs great. I'm running ARP studs in the heads so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think it's the head gasket. I'm running Fel Pro MLS gaskets and they should have no problem holding that amount of boost. As far as putting the old prop on..I think that is just putting a bandaid on the problem..but have thought of it. The boat runs GREAT..I would have never known I had a problem if it wasn't for the milk shake out the breathers.
I really want to fix this myself instead of kicking it to a shop..as that would cut into my beer fund.
that seems like a lot of sustained revs to me for a long stroke boosted motor... but i suppose you have experience with this configuration to know...

i think you are lifting the heads...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

check to make sure the bolts that go into the water jacket are properly sealed. I believe most aftermarket blocks are blind holes, some GM blocks aren't. I also had a problem with a cracked block, did the same thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
that seems like a lot of sustained revs to me for a long stroke boosted motor... but i suppose you have experience with this configuration to know...

i think you are lifting the heads...
Yea, that seems pretty high to me to. Until I see the build sheet I'm not believing anything!!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Registered

I'm running ARP head studs and only 8.5 lbs of boost..Really Head lift?? Have you seen that before running studs??
Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i was joking when i said put the old prop back on. one step better than digging out an old set of peanut heads...it would get you to Havasu though. take wet oil, put it in a pot. put it on gas grill. 220 degrees for a while should do it.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Couple of questions and a suggestion.
One, does the engine have a chiller under the blower?
If it does, check it for a leak.
Two, are the CMI headers new to the engine or configured differently than your original exhaust setup?
Three, how is the exhaust tips and water entry into the tailpipes configured, ie s-tubes, captain's call, etc, or straight out the back with wet tips or dry tips?

Suggestion: to check for possible reversion, remove a header off a side and take a careful look inside header at exhaust port area and even in exhaust port and see if there is any evidence of water stains or deposits in those areas. I have seen a reverting engine make milk shake out of engines oil and breather systems in only a few minutes running time, especially when idling with a blower with mild surge.

Just some added ideas and info here.
Hope its simple and minor!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Couple of questions and a suggestion.
One, does the engine have a chiller under the blower?
If it does, check it for a leak.
Two, are the CMI headers new to the engine or configured differently than your original exhaust setup?
Three, how is the exhaust tips and water entry into the tailpipes configured, ie s-tubes, captain's call, etc, or straight out the back with wet tips or dry tips?

Suggestion: to check for possible reversion, remove a header off a side and take a careful look inside header at exhaust port area and even in exhaust port and see if there is any evidence of water stains or deposits in those areas. I have seen a reverting engine make milk shake out of engines oil and breather systems in only a few minutes running time, especially when idling with a blower with mild surge.

Just some added ideas and info here.
Hope its simple and minor!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Thanks Ray,

Yes, I have a chiller...there was some water sitting on top of two of the bolts that hold the manifold on..but when I pressure tested the 1st time..that is where one of the leaks were..I can pressure test it (and will)..but everything looked good.

CMI..you know I hunted down the reversion when I first had this issue..and had CMI pressure test the headers and there was a small leak on one of the headers..I thought that was it..slapped it all together and nope..just was a small leak I found. They are over the transom and I have three sets of tips..two sets of wet and a set of dry. The wet have been on every motor that has been in that boat and have never had a problem with reversion. I do have quite a surge as most know how hard it is on the outdrive to go into gear otherwise. Oh, and I was running the dry exhaust when this all started but went back to the wet as the water pressures are lower with wet.

One other thing I noticed was the port match on the intake doesn't look perfect on one side. The bolt holes have been drilled out I noticed..I wonder if maybe I just didn't have the ports lined up perfect and when the pressure comes up it starts to leak.

How do they port match intakes to heads?? Is it done on the motor?? Or do they have a way of doing it off..cause bringing in a set of heads and an intake would be a lot easier.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
i was joking when i said put the old prop back on. one step better than digging out an old set of peanut heads...it would get you to Havasu though. take wet oil, put it in a pot. put it on gas grill. 220 degrees for a while should do it.
Ha!! Trust me I have been thinking of just running with the old prop..but it slow to plane and barely operates in it's power band.

I tried bypassing the oil cooler to get that oil hot..and still only get 180-190 at WOT..thing is cold blooded..plus the water at this time of year is a mighty chilly!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I assume you don't have an oil thermostat? Is that correct? If you don't have an oil thermostat and bypassing the cooler only generates 180* oil temps, then it is quite possible that you are seeing condensation. Running with the cooler probably results in oil temp in about the 140* area?

Personally, I never run an engine without an oil thermostat. I would strongly recommend it. It just may fix your problem. If nothing else, it will be much better for the valvesprings by getting them some hotter oil.
Eddie
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Registered

No, I do not have an Oil thermostat..thought of adding one but read some bad things about them. It def makes sense to me to run one though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.