intakes on hp500's >

intakes on hp500's

Notices

intakes on hp500's

Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default intakes on hp500's

trying to put new intakes on my hp500's, they are Darts #4114000, they will not sit down far enough on the motor to be able to put the intakes bolts in. It appears to me that the intakes have to be shaved to get them to drop down far enough to get the right fit. Has anyone encountered this problem and what is the fix. Any and all help will be appreciated. thanks (Sam) Also recommendations on the intake gaskets. I believe the ones we used were felpro #1274

Last edited by jackieboy; 04-08-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

My builder last year, told me since the block and heads were machined quite a bit, that the intake needed it also. I'm not an expert by any means, just passing on what I was told. Others here may have a better solution.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the block has been decked or the heads milled the intake can get out of alignment. I drilled bigger holes in the intake so the bolts would thread into the heads instead of machining the intake.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Default intakes

drilled the holes in the intakes to get the bolts to fit, but the intakes still sat up to high, started the motor on the port side and it ingested water, a lot of water. Took the intake off and resealed it but still had the problem.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the bottom of the manifold bottoming out on the China wall? If so you might haft to mill some off the bottom of the manifold.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

are you just replacing the intakes???? are you sure you have 500 hp's and not bull dog 500's ???? bull dogs were a tall deck engine which would take a differant intake..
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Just a little more to get it right.

Tall deck blocks need very thick spacer plates to use a standard deck intake and I don't think thats your problem. As others are saying here the block if decked more than .005" and the combination of heads shaved .010" or more coupled with some thinner than .060" head gaskets can get the intake alingment off enough to keep the intake from aligning properly.
Some material needs to be machined off the intake to allow it to drop into correct alignment. Opening the bolt holes ever so slightly is OK, but if the mismatch is too great, doing that will lead to leaks and bad port to port alignment which can also affect air flows and performance. Finish the job off right by re-machining the intakes for correct alignment, don't cut corners and expense now and mess up your engines, finish it right!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered

Default hp500 intakes

Thanks for the input that i have received on this problem. Now my question is if i was given the wrong intakes such as tall deck intakes on a short deck block is this the problem that i would be facing. The reason that i ask this is because i just tried a friends intake that he just bought #41114000 and i was able to drop it in the valley and stick every bolt without a problem. I do not have access to my intakes at this time to check the number stamped on the bottom they are supposed to be 41114000"s i never checked the numbers when i tried to install them just took for granted they were the right ones.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

If you tried to drop tall deck intakes on a short deck block with heads, the intake would sit so high it would not even come close to lining up with ports, bolt holes or water passages and gaskets.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mill the manifold accordingly to compensate for the milling of the heads and block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.