Leaky Breathers >

Leaky Breathers

Notices

Leaky Breathers

Old 06-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Breathers

I've tried the K&N's and the "Mushroom" style breathers in my valve covers (Hardin Marine) and keep blowing oil at high RPM. Not a lot, but enough to piss you off. Has anyone found a way to stop this from happening. My next thought was to go to the "hose type" back to the flame arrestor (as merc does) on the 500 HP etc, or plumb hoses into a puke tank...as we called them in my go-kart racing days. Anyone have any real world results with either of these installations or is it that hard to stop. Thanks in advance for all the ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by jdnca1; 06-27-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:42 PM
INCOGNITO

I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM..GONNA TRY GOING WITH A PCV SYSTEM PLUMBEDTO MY INTAKE WITH ADJUSTABLE PRESSURE VALVE--DOES REQUIRE MODIFICATION TO INTAKE-BUT IVE SEEN THEM ON A FEW HIGH DOLLAR MOTORS DOWN HERE AND SEEM TO WORK GREAT--CHEAPER AND EASIER THAN A VACUUM PUMP..BY THE WAY DID YOU READ YOUR E-MAIL........

Old 06-27-2002, 10:11 AM
Registered

Just a few misspelled words... I was in a hurry.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

I also had/have/ the same problem. I am still testing it for leaks, but here is what my builder/mechanic gave me to try to resolve the problem:

He gave me the Moroso Mushroom-like baffled chrome breathers with the nipples & hoses running to my flame arrester.

He siliconed the underside of the breathers (where the metal lip is) to stop fumes from escaping out of the bottom, and send everything to the flame arrester.....(he mainly did that to keep the entire compartment cleaner).

But for oil issue...he ran and routed longer hoses with a couple bends in them up to the flame arrester, so the oil has further to travel if it gets past the baffles. I guess his theory is that you won't be at full throttle long enough for the oil to reach the top of the hoses, then it will drain back down.

I will let you know how it works after the weekend.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:14 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the "Puke tank" setup on my little Cig. I have Moroso Valve covers Notched to clear the manifolds ,The rubber grommets have a tube with a bottom molded in and there is a slit in the bottom. Anyhow I bent some 3/4" od stainless tubes to fit in grommets and run a hose to a puke tank. I dump the tank once a season.

Rob