Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Underwater LEDs..how far under do you mount them? >

Underwater LEDs..how far under do you mount them?

Notices

Underwater LEDs..how far under do you mount them?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmalon
Here's some pics of mine mounted to the back of the drives. I haven't been in the water yet but being able to"point" them by turning or trimming my drives intrigued me. they'll probably be considered too high while running but consistent with another thread here I believe running with them on especially if they shine back will probably get you a stop at night. On the other hand they should light the roost pretty well. Won't be long before I know for sure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159749...7ActiveThunder
What brand or product did you choose & how did you mount them to the drives? Lookin forward to seeing the in water pics!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmalon
Here's some pics of mine mounted to the back of the drives. I haven't been in the water yet but being able to"point" them by turning or trimming my drives intrigued me. they'll probably be considered too high while running but consistent with another thread here I believe running with them on especially if they shine back will probably get you a stop at night. On the other hand they should light the roost pretty well. Won't be long before I know for sure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159749...7ActiveThunder
i can not access that page it says.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Well thy say DO NOT put them underwater until they are mounted, cause it voids the warranty... not sure why though..... and I am not close to the river to put in the water with a lead going to a random 12vlt battery.... other wise I probalby would test it.

Maybe they rely on sealing them against the hull to waterproof the wires entering the back side.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
What brand or product did you choose & how did you mount them to the drives? Lookin forward to seeing the in water pics!
They're blue OceanLed A12's. I machined an alum billet the same shape as the back of the light 1/2 inch thick. Then at right angle to that I used 1/4 inch alum plate stock (stainless screws fastening the two) that had holes that line up with the Marine Machine steering mounts. That link I posted shows them both on and off the boat. Powdered coated boath pieces before assy. I do powder coating so that was a natural
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
i can not access that page it says.
Hmmm I just clicked on the link in the thread and it went there. Send me a PM with ur email and I'll send the pics
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

Well mouned mine 10 inch under. hope it looks good in the water! find out satruday
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Guess I am too late, but when I mounted mine I just put them where I thought looked good. I have had them for 4 years and no problem with any heating issues. Mine are abyss not ocean led.
Attached Thumbnails Underwater LEDs..how far under do you mount them?-img_0214.jpg   Underwater LEDs..how far under do you mount them?-night-time.jpg   Underwater LEDs..how far under do you mount them?-img_0410.jpg  

Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Registered

well all 4 of mine ar about the same level as your middle one.

BUT they are not that big. just A3s. but hoping for some good results.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

well tested them this weekend. and they worked, and best part is they DO NOT leak! I did not get good pictures as the water where we where at is even worse then normal, and there as no was to get off the boat and take apic away for it.

this 4 warm white, OceanLED A3's mounted 10inches under the water line in some of the nastest brown water you will find.

Looking strait down

Looking over the edge