Exhaust/muffler Question >

Exhaust/muffler Question

Notices

Exhaust/muffler Question

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Exhaust/muffler Question

I have a question for you muffler experts. I have a 2 sets of Teague switchable muffers, the st-450's. I'm planning on using them on my formula 292 SR-1. I'm going to be using Gil exhausts and have two different tails. One set is dry to the tip (thru-transom) and the other a set of the newer HP 500 tails with the large down turn. If I use the dry to the tips I'm not going to use the mufflers. The HP 500's may work if I cut them as they were extended to go through the transom but they dump the water at the stock location, right at the end of the downturn. The Teagues are 6.5" long inside the transom, which may be tight. I'm going to be running the silent thunder platform but I have cut holes in the bottoms so they will not hold water.

If I run the dry to the tip exhaust will it be obnoxiously loud? I do run my boat sometimes at night. Or should I use the HP 500's with the mufflers? Another factor is my cam, the cam is 232/238 at 112, engine is a 454. I'm going to be running 1.8 rockers on the intake and Madara said that my duration will change to 232/240 (I believe). Will I have a reversion problem if I don't run the dry to tip pipes?

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike, Im not familiar with the silent thunder platform layout. If you chose to run the dry Gil tails, you can drill two small holes in the end of the tails, so that you get a little stream of water. Just enough to keep the mufflers cool.

I have dry stellings on my boat, and yes, they are loud. They exit under my platform. They arent crazy loud in the cockpit while idling around, but when running they can get pretty loud, especially as the rpm/boost starts coming on.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info Joe. If I run the dry to tip pipes they already have 3 -1/3" holes 1" from the tip but if I run them I'm not running the Teagues as I will have the cut 12" off the tails so I can connect them to the mufflers and I don't want to ruin the dry to tip tails. The other set of tails are the high riser HP 500 tails and they dump at the stock location which is about 8-9" from the inside of the transom and are then extented back though the transom. These would be very easy to modify to work with the teagues so if I go that route I'll use them. After doing some searching on here last night I found a few guys running almost dry pipes and they had some vids of their boats. I'm pretty sure I don't want to have my boat that loud. I live in a small community and I use my boat a lot. I think if the lake had to listen to dry to tip pipes all day there would be some pissed off people. I really don't want to be that guy. I may try running both tails when I break my engines in on the stand and take my decible meter and see what the difference really is.

Do you by chance remember what your buddy was using for exhaust with these cams? I was running a similar cam from Madara last year with std Stainless Marines and never had an issue with reversion, I would certainly think the HP500 style with the large town turn would be fine.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My buddy had stainless marine manifolds with the risers ending inside the transom. They were a bit longer than yours probably because it was a trs/ssm setup, but you should be fine.

Heck, we just pulled a buddy's 454/370 down. He had a engine problem. Got the numbers off his cam, and they were crane 134561. Like 236/245 duration, thru stock merc cast iron center rise manifolds! No reversion, they were in there with those manifolds since like 1999! I did talk him into headers though, because with a cam that large in a 454, the stock exhaust, stock intake, and quadrajet just isn't doing that cam any favors.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could I please ask a question for a friend of mine concerning his exhaust? I hope you said yes to that question...LOL
He has a 1999 Formula 236 (24 footer)
454 engine with I think Alpha 1 outdrive
He swears there is some sort of silencer for his exhaust but he doesn't have the book or know where the switch is for it.
I looked and could not find it in obvious places..
Can you guys help me out with this please?
Thanks
Sarge
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Take a picture of the exhaust manifold tails and e-mail me the pictures. [email protected] It will be simple to sell if he has switchable exhaust with a picture or two.