Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Head Rebuilding >

Head Rebuilding

Notices

Head Rebuilding

Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Another thing I was told, was that for a marine application, especially supercharged, you wan't to keep a wide seat width to help cool the exhaust valve.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Your price seems inline compared to what I have paid around here, alot of shops make there money nickel diming you, my head guy does the same thing and I put up with it because I always get the results I want. I would be concerned about the 11$ valve and would look into that fruther, Smitty
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

end,
The only two issues I would have would be
1. The price of the valve seats, I may be worng but I am pretty sure they cost me about $8 and are the ones for all of the Mercruiser heads. I would probably sell them for $12 or so.
2. And this would be my big gripe . . . the fact that the price was so much higher than you were quoted without somebody not having let you know ahead of time. I am absolutely anal about letting a customer know ahead of time if the work is going to cost more than I originally qouted.

The only other thing would be the fact that he used Teflon valve stem seals. I know this is mostly personal preference but I dont know anyone that really uses them any more. The metal case Viton seals are what everyone I know has gone to. Once again, this is more personal preference than anything.

I would be curious what the $64 labor charge was for.

Other than that the labor charges are in line with what I charge.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valve Seat [email protected] $184.72
Valve [email protected] $ 23.16
Seems backwards.....I cant think of ANY qaulity marine valve only costing 11.58
Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

At $11 and some change, it's likely that those were intake valves that were replaced. A GM head doesn't have anything fancy in it far as intake valves go. A run of the mill, stock replacement intake valve, such as a Sealed Power or equivalent is probably only about that much.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by MASCH
Valve Seat [email protected] $184.72
Valve [email protected] $ 23.16
Seems backwards.....I cant think of ANY qaulity marine valve only costing 11.58
Mas,
If it is just the base level Mercruiser valve, that is about right, especially for an intake. They are nothing more than the same valve that GM uses in thier truck heads. As soon as you get into the HP engines though and the Inconel exhaust valves, the price certainly goes up
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered

Also, If it is indeed a full teflon seal that was used, I tend to agree with BillK... I'm not a big fan either. Over time, the banded type full teflon seal tends to cause alot of stem wear in the seal area. Sealed Power makes a positive type, teflon inserted, rubber seal (ST2014) which I've used with good results. Or, as Bill stated, a metal case Viton seal is a good choice. Like he said, mostly a matter of personal preference.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Well on Monday I'm going to call and ask about the misc charges and also ask what is up with the 2, $11 valves. The engines are going to be roughly 460 hp, nothing crazy and I don't really get on my engines that hard for any extended period. I really just wanted to freshen up the heads and replace them in a couple of years with AFR's or the Dart Iron eagles. It sounds like the price is inline but like others have said, when I give someone a price for something thats the price unless I get the OK from the customer up front, otherwise I eat the difference. Lessen learned with this shop.

The part number for the valve was PFT 01600, I googled it and didn't come up with anything so until I call them I have no idea what that is. The valve seals they wanted to use were the factory seals but they would fit inside the spring (isky SP 8005) which I supplied. They wanted to chage me $85 to mill the guide for the stock seal to work. I told them, order the correct seals!

Again, thanks for all the info, at least I feel a bit better, even if my wallet may be a bit lighter.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
The part number for the valve was PFT 01600, I googled it and didn't come up with anything so until I call them I have no idea what that is.
01600 is an SBI Inconel exhaust valve. At $11, they definitely under-charged you for those. Sounds like they're a little out-to-lunch in the billing department.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cubicinches
01600 is an SBI Inconel exhaust valve. At $11, they definitely under-charged you for those. Sounds like they're a little out-to-lunch in the billing department.
I would agree with you 100% on that one! At least the parts used seem to be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.