Head Rebuilding >

Head Rebuilding

Notices

Head Rebuilding

Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Head Rebuilding

Ok I have a question for you guys. I took in a set of GM 188 heads to have a valve job done, I've given a quote after inspection of 560.00 because all the valve seats needed to be replaced, although I feel they looked fine. I went to pick them up and I have a bill for 727.00. Needless to say I'm pissed! Is there such a thing as a special marine valve seat, I've never heard of such a thing yet they claim there is. The part number is PFC SB2000-3N. Does this mean anything to anyone? Before I raise holy hell on this I want to get some feed back from you guys first.

Here is what was done-
Valve Job, clean heads and magnaflux- $220.00
unknown charge 8 @ $8 - $ 64.00
Unknown charge 8 @ $20 $160.00
Valve Seat [email protected] $184.72
Valve [email protected] $ 23.16
3/8 Seals Crane 99822-16 $ 30.99
Remove broken bolt $30.00
Total $727.20
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Here is bit more info on the valve seat its from SBI and its the star series. It seems that these are for propane engines and for up to 1600 degrees. Seems a bit overkill especially when it appears they replaced 2 valves with $11 std valves.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SB2000-3N is a Jloy valve seat part number. It's not specifically marine, but it is a very hard material, and is the same seat that I use in all GM big block marine heads. The material withstands the higher cylinder/exhaust tems of a marine environment better than most materials.

GM uses a powdered metal seat in the 188 head, and these seats have a tendency to loose their press fit in the head and fall out. I replace the powdered metal seats in all of these heads that come through my shop with the SB2000-3N seats. I don't even look twice at them, it just gets done. Often the seats look fine, but they can be popped right out of the head with a screwdriver, with very little effort.

A complete valve job (which includes cleaning and magnafluxing), resurface both heads, installing eight seats, with seals, seats, and new 7* locks would run you about $615.00, plus tax, at my shop. That wouldn't include any guide work or removal of broken bolts, etc. Pricing can vary quite a bit by region, but this oughta give you some point of reference.

Last edited by cubicinches; 05-12-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Can't spell sometimes...
Old 05-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Ok I have a question for you guys. I took in a set of GM 188 heads to have a valve job done, I've given a quote after inspection of 560.00 because all the valve seats needed to be replaced, although I feel they looked fine. I went to pick them up and I have a bill for 727.00. Needless to say I'm pissed! Is there such a thing as a special marine valve seat, I've never heard of such a thing yet they claim there is. The part number is PFC SB2000-3N. Does this mean anything to anyone? Before I raise holy hell on this I want to get some feed back from you guys first.

Here is what was done-
Valve Job, clean heads and magnaflux- $220.00
unknown charge 8 @ $8 - $ 64.00
Unknown charge 8 @ $20 $160.00
Valve Seat [email protected] $184.72
Valve [email protected] $ 23.16
3/8 Seals Crane 99822-16 $ 30.99
Remove broken bolt $30.00
Total $727.20
i
The valve seat cost is HIGH, @ 23.09 is what I pay for Copper alloy seats(beryllium copper) for a exhaust seat.The unknown charge of 8 each could be installing seat but usually its a set-up then charge for cutting seat out then over sizing hole for new seat. I would be concerned of a 11.00 valve was it the intake or exhaust?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Here is bit more info on the valve seat its from SBI and its the star series. It seems that these are for propane engines and for up to 1600 degrees. Seems a bit overkill especially when it appears they replaced 2 valves with $11 std valves.
That's correct. SBI is the company, Jloy is the brand name. Like I said, I use this seat exclusively on marine heads, and have had excellent luck. Personally, I don't think there can be too much overkill on a marine engine.

I sell the seat itself (not including insatllation labor) for $12 something each. I see they charged you $20 something. However, I buy direct from SBI, at WD pricing. Your machine shop may not be direct, and have to buy through another supplier, so their deal may not be as deep. $23.09 is a bit steep for that seat.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cubicinches
SB2000-3N is a Jloy valve seat part number. It's not specifically marine, but it is a very hard material, and is the same seat that I use in all GM big block marine heads. The material withstands the higher cylinder/exhaust tems of a marine environment better than most materials.

GM uses a powdered metal seat in the 188 head, and these seats have a tendency to loose their press fit in the head and fall out. I replace the powdered metal seats in all of these heads that come through my shop with the SB200-3N seats. I don't even look twice at them, it just gets done. Often the seats look fine, but they can be popped right out of the head with a screwdriver, with very little effort.

A complete valve job (which includes cleaning and magnafluxing), resurface both heads, installing eight seats, with seals, seats, and new 7* locks would run you about $615.00, plus tax, at my shop. That wouldn't include any guide work or removal of broken bolts, etc. Pricing can vary quite a bit by region, but this oughta give you some point of reference.
i have seen several bbc engines reduced to junk because of the seats gm uses.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have seen several bbc engines reduced to junk because of the seats gm uses.
I have the piston to prove this. It is well ventilated.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Ok thanks guys! You learn something new everyday. I see lots of info regarding valves but I've never heard anyone talk of the valve seat material. As far as the valves go, I don't know if they're intake or exhaust. I went into the place I took the heads, to pick up a few other things as well as the heads. When the price was $180 more than what I was told I was a bit upset, so I left the heads there until I talk to the shop on monday. Either way thanks for the info on this!

Last edited by endeavour32; 05-12-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

ya,and the trash flows threwout the whole engine,i rebuilt one for a guy a few years back,at least the block&crank were still good.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My head guy installed all new seats in my heads. He used the same fancy valve seats merc racing uses on the 1075 engines. I can't recall what they are made out of, but could be beryllium copper material. I stressed I wanted the good seats, as did the machine shop,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.