Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
steering very stiff after going full Hyd. >

steering very stiff after going full Hyd.

Notices

steering very stiff after going full Hyd.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default steering very stiff after going full Hyd.

98 checkmate w/502, just added a CP full hyd inside steering assy, been bleeding it a lot, finally most all air out but very stiff to turn, way stiffer than was with just outside system, seems like pump pressure issue, anybody run into this ? thanks Rob
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this a kit or a pieced together project? I have built several pieced together set ups and it sounds like either air in the system still, or you have the wrong hydrostatic valve "hydraulic Helm". You need to make sure it is an open center valve to assure the oil returns to the pump or you will burn up the pump. Did the pump work correctly before you changed the system?

Nevermind... I just read that it was a CP system. DOH!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I just installed an imco standard single ram steering add on kit NOT full hydro on mine and it's really stiff also. I ran it on the hose for a while and turned the wheel back and forth a bunch of times and it free'd it up a little but man is it tuff. Was yours like that before you went full hydro?? How much effort should it take to turn the steering wheel with the add on kit? I haven't had it on the lake to test yet but I plan to this weekend.
I wish I could offer you some advice but I don't have much knowledge with steering systems.
Good luck with your project.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have hydraulic hoses reversed at the steering pump. So when you are turning right its trying to turn the ram left.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, hoses not reversed, turns correctly, just much stiffer than with just the outboard system, seems p/s not supplying enough pressure/volume....couple of people make/sell special pumps, but have driven factory rigged boats with full systems that are very smooth and little effort required. In doing research before I bought , seems everyone uses the same helm pump, charlynn, same lines so what can be different. trying to figure out if a special p/s is needed, or is there one specific one that works better than others..
Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaboy217
I just installed an imco standard single ram steering add on kit NOT full hydro on mine and it's really stiff also. I ran it on the hose for a while and turned the wheel back and forth a bunch of times and it free'd it up a little but man is it tuff. Was yours like that before you went full hydro?? How much effort should it take to turn the steering wheel with the add on kit? I haven't had it on the lake to test yet but I plan to this weekend.
I wish I could offer you some advice but I don't have much knowledge with steering systems.
Good luck with your project.
something is not right here, i just did this exact thing and my steering feels the same as it did before the install, actually alittle smoother, you may also have air still in your lines, you should not be able to move the drive side to side more than 1/8 inch, and after it is totally bled out no play what so ever
Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

double check your hoses at the helm. I had the the return and the pump lines backwards and it was very stiff. too many beers when installing I think. switch them and now I can spin the wheel with one finger. Mine is a full mayfair system.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finished by full CP Hydro inside kit as well. About twice as easy to turn as it was with just the outside kit before. Can damn near turn with one finger. Stock merc steering pump as well. Did you double check that your steering filter is going the correct direction? There is a flow arrow on it.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
something is not right here, i just did this exact thing and my steering feels the same as it did before the install, actually alittle smoother, you may also have air still in your lines, you should not be able to move the drive side to side more than 1/8 inch, and after it is totally bled out no play what so ever
Blownhammer, how long did it take you to get the air bled out? I spent about 3-5 min turning side to side, while checking the fluid level. My drive is tight no play at all. I am pretty sure my hoses are hooked up right because when you turn the wheel the drive moves in the proper direction. Was I suppose to crack any of the fittings to bleed the air out or just cycle the wheel back and forth?
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Registered

Hi there,

We had the same issue when fitting a full hydraulic steering as well, all it turned out to need was an adjustment to the pressure relief valve, cp performance had the info basically if I recall you drill the hole slightly bigger, hope that may help you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.