dash gauge light colors

Notices

dash gauge light colors

Old 06-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb dash gauge light colors

dash gauges are all gaffrigs
most are bright white and nearly blind me at night...a couple (newer) are a nice red..

looking at the back of the gauges, some of the lights twist out and the red ones have a red "condom" on them..others snap in and have a slightly larger bulb....

can you buy the condoms for the other bulbs or is there another trick...fingernail polish??? to getting all my lights red...

thanks

gary
Old 06-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truck stops and the foriegn car stores both usually have the colored conduoms or the colored bulbs you are looking for.

Rob
Old 07-01-2002, 03:11 AM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Something I did years ago before they offered the different covers was to take model paint such as the candy colors (the little bottles of testers paint you can get in hobby shops) and let the pigment seperate and settle to the bottom. This usually happens with the bottles after they have sat for a while. Check the ones in the back of the display. Don't shake the bottles, with the color seperated, dip the bulb in the paint and let them dry, then install, viola. The really cool thing is that you have a huge selection of colors to choose from, Mine lasted the life of the bulb. Make sure you do them all at the same time or you could end up with different shades.

Les
Old 07-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Talking Condoms at truck stops??

I've seen those... in a dispenser on the wall in the men's room! But most of the ones I saw came in candy FLAVORS, not COLORS! ... and how are you going to get them on those little light bulbs?

All kidding aside, this might sound crazy but borrow some of the wife/girlfriend's nail polish! I found a nice shade of red for my bulbs - really helped with the glare and looks cool too! Seems to hold up just fine for two seasons so far. And while I was at it, I gave myself a pedicure/manicure!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Question

I have been working on a little project of mine with just this subject and now i'm wondering how interested you guys would be in this?

How would you guys like to be able to switch between two, maybe even three different colors in the dash? All on the fly!
And they would last 10,000 hours!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Registered

Gmnhra,
I just put on the Gaffrig rubber boots on all my bulbs. The red is much better at night.

Wally,
LED’s?

Dan
Old 07-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally posted by candyman35

Wally,
LED’s?

Dan
YUP! and from the first batch i have made they are way cool!!! Will just replace the exsisting bulb assembly! You will need to wire in two extra wires though but wouldnt it be worth it to be able to switch from one color to the next anytime you want!?! The ones i made right now that i'm testing are white/red/amber and they all look way cool at night!!! And they still have green and blue. The only problem is fitting them in the holders!
PLUS they all have a 100,000 hour life expectancy! try finding that in a bulb!!! you could leave them on (theoreticly) for 11.7 years!!!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Registered

Wally,
Not to mention much less current draw. Will Stress Test be the first demo boat? It sounds like you will have a good business deduction. Now you just have to figure out how to justify the gas and other expenses involved.

Dan
Old 07-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

youre right Dan! Each LED draws about 30 milliAmps tops! no need to worry about them draining the batts anytime in the near future!!
Stress Test will be the first to see how it looks. I have a few extra gauges lieing around that im useing for testing/demoing but the full dash will be done on the Scarab and maybe on the 28 Cig i'm re-doing as well if this guy ever gets it painted!!!
See ya out on the water tonight if your out for the fireworks!