Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone heard of boat angle causing oil pressure problems? >

Anyone heard of boat angle causing oil pressure problems?

Notices

Anyone heard of boat angle causing oil pressure problems?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oil pick up may have fallen off the pump or some issue with it...engine ever been out ?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Out 65hrs ago but not since!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
oil pick up may have fallen off the pump or some issue with it...engine ever been out ?
I was just thinking the same thing. I know everyone is saying "too much oil" but try putting an extra qt or even 2qts in and see what happens. If the pickup has fallen off, the extra qt of oil should help the problem some. Dont run it too long like that, just long enough to see if it makes a difference.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does the motor have to be pulled to check the pick up? Also, if I add a quart or two will I have to remove some if it is the problem or not ?

Appreciate all the info!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What about a bigger oil cooler, the boat came from Utah where it is much cooler weather, and the water is much cooler as well?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Does the motor have to be pulled to check the pick up? Also, if I add a quart or two will I have to remove some if it is the problem or not ?

Appreciate all the info!
The engine might not have to be pulled depending on how easily you can get to the oil drain plug. If you can get to the drain plug and remove it, you can use a thin screw driver or a bent piece of metal coat hanger to "feel" around in the oil pan and see if the pickup is laying in the bottom of the pan.

If you add oil to the engine for the test you most certainly have to remove the extra oil before running the boat for any long periods.

Either way, I think you need to get to the bottom of the problem before running the engine much more. You can do serious ($$$$$) damage if you dont find the problem.

One other thing that I am not sure if anyone else mentioned . . . have you tried installing a mechanical pressure gauge on the engine just on the way outside possibility that the gauge is the problem, assuming it is an electrical gauge.

I dont think the oil cooler has anything to do with it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am not sure if I can get to it, I have pics of the motor on here, its under q&a 25 outlaw 675 sci help, If I run the boat normal the psi stays at 40, when I get on it it drops to 25 to 20 butcomes right back when I get out of it, i thought it was just getting hot and thinning out! I will hook up a mechanical gauge if not difficult and check it!

I really appreciate your help!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maybe you can help me with my prop issue, have a 26 bravo lab now and thinking about a 28 lab or non lab, I think it will work better for my set up.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When checking oil levels, what is considered level? Check it when the boats on the trailer and the trailer is level or check it in the water?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider on the trailer to be level as that is the approx attitude the boat runs at on plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.