Alternator Whine

Notices

Alternator Whine

Old 07-08-2002, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Alternator Whine

Hi Gang:

When the engine is running I get a constant whining from (I assume) my alternator. It is the original 97 and if I don't turn off the battery switch, it will run down my battery in about 7 days or so. I posted about this problem before and I think it was Audiofn that thought this was my problem along with a few others. If I just run the boat until the alternator quits, am I going to hurt anything serious like cook the wiring harness or just a battery or what. I assume the worst I will have is a dead battery and be towed in and have to replace the alternator/battery. Thanks in advance for your opinions about this.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

well.....the WORST case that could happen is that you fry all your electrical components out on the boat from the electrical voltage spike if the voltage regulator goes out! That would not be good! but theres nothing to say that will or wont happen. You can take the chance till the boat dies from a dead battery if you want but wouldnt it be better for your own peace of mind to change it? The local electrical place can rebuild my alternators or startes in under 24hours! I drop it off at lunch and pick it up the next day ready to go! Cant beat that!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered

Look for metal dust around it. Not belt dust but a gray or silver dust. Sometimes you can see it fly while running. A tow will cost more than a new alternator not to mention the ruined day.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

What does your gauge say when at idle? At full throttle? Shoudln't change much if any at either rpm. If it's 12 or less, you need to deal with it now. Get it rebuilt and forget about it.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Registered

Default Taking all your advice and replace!

My gauge has been reading fine and it has never failed me in starting, except when I leave the battery switch on for a week. I am going to replace it this week and bite the dust for the cost of a new marine alternator because it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a whole new wiring harness or a short and a fire. As usual I appreciate your comments.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Registered

luvoffshore...........If you do replace it, I got (2) for my boat (single wire) from a place called AlterStart in Dallas (800-607-0016). So far I am please with them. I'm sure they do carry other configurations for you engine if needed.

Bob
Old 07-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Registered

Default Thanks Kaamacat!

I just called them and they said they could rebuild it. mosy likely will do that. It's great to use the OSO board as my reliable yellow pages!