Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
how to backflush a 496 ho >

how to backflush a 496 ho

Like Tree0Likes

how to backflush a 496 ho

Reply

Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 102
Default how to backflush a 496 ho

Hi, i have never owned a closed looped 496ho before. It runs a little hot after a few wide open runs. I am going to check the sea pump but how and what do i flush. I have been told to flush the heat exchanger and hoses. Is it posible to screw anything up if i do it wrong? how and were would i install a gauge to check water pressure? any help would be great. Pics would be awesome. sorry to be an ignoramus. Oh, if it matters it has a whipple kit. Dustin whipple has been a big help on what to check and flush, i just dont know how. Thanks!
boatnutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM
  #2
Gold Member
Gold Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Randy Nielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha Ne
My Boat: 07 Kachina 34 00 Eliminator 25 EagleXP 77 Scarab 30 77 Scarab 30
Posts: 1,483
Default

I had trouble with overheating a couple of years ago. I checked the heat exchanger by pulling the end caps off & looking through. That wasnt the problem, the oil cooler & p/s cooler are before that in the cooling system. I took the inlet hose off the heat exchanger & put a spray nozzle in the hose to backflush. Worked fine for me. The waterpump housing is a problem as the ends get grooved & reduces water pressure. Hardin marine makes a stainless housing replacement for about 350.00 as compared to 600.00 for merc. Hope that helps, Randy
Randy Nielsen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 AM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Md
My Boat: 92, Checkmate, Enforcer 230
Posts: 310
Default

Order a scan tool. It's a smart investment for anyone with that engine. It will allow you read the seawater pump pressure and the the various temperature sensors so you're not shooting in the dark.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#merctool
NightHawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 AM
  #4
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Rwbrew3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Highland Village TX
My Boat: 25' OUTLAW 675 SCI
Posts: 1,160
Default

Originally Posted by boatnutt View Post
Hi, i have never owned a closed looped 496ho before. It runs a little hot after a few wide open runs. I am going to check the sea pump but how and what do i flush. I have been told to flush the heat exchanger and hoses. Is it posible to screw anything up if i do it wrong? how and were would i install a gauge to check water pressure? any help would be great. Pics would be awesome. sorry to be an ignoramus. Oh, if it matters it has a whipple kit. Dustin whipple has been a big help on what to check and flush, i just dont know how. Thanks!
Disconnect the downstream hose from each of your coolers (oil on the front, power steering on the back of the motor) by loosening the hose clamps and sliding the hose off. Sometimes they are had to get off, I used a very small flathead screwdriver working parallel to the hose to loosen it. Don't pry up or you will tear the hose. Then take the big hose loose on the front of the motor. Blow water backwards thru the cooler and engine. Most likely you have some passages of the oil cooler blocked, causes engine to run hot and oil pressure to be lower.
Rwbrew3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 AM
  #5
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Rwbrew3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Highland Village TX
My Boat: 25' OUTLAW 675 SCI
Posts: 1,160
Default

That info was sent to me when I asked the same question by another oso member (knockld ) I did exactly what he wrote ( what I forwarded to you ) and it fixed my problem. The guys here are awesome and always willing to help!

Rick
Rwbrew3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:09 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 102
Default

You guys are awesome! thank you!!!! will let you know if it helps.
boatnutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
  #7
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boat: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,297
Default

Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
Order a scan tool. It's a smart investment for anyone with that engine. It will allow you read the seawater pump pressure and the the various temperature sensors so you're not shooting in the dark.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#merctool
+1

You should have 3-4 lbs at idle.

When was the last time you changed your impellor?
Dave M is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 102
Default

Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
+1

You should have 3-4 lbs at idle.

When was the last time you changed your impellor?
just bought the boat. previous owner didnt know much about boats. So i dont thing impeller was ever checked. Boat is on its way to me now. How do i check water pressure at idle and at speed?
boatnutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 102
Default

duh, i didnt read the post in front of your. i will order the tool.
boatnutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
  #10
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Rwbrew3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Highland Village TX
My Boat: 25' OUTLAW 675 SCI
Posts: 1,160
Default

You said your Temps are getting up there, do you know if there is a separate water pick up for your inner cooler, or is it one pick up teed off?

Last edited by Rwbrew3; 08-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Rwbrew3 is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser