Need speed under 10k >

Need speed under 10k

Notices

Need speed under 10k

Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tunertech
share some of the details regarding the boat. I reworked a next this spring 28 footer with a 509 ci and shorty drive when it left it was 85 gps. Owner was very happy. However, it was over 10k close to 12k when done.

What do have to work with?
thank you for responding. It's a 257 party effect (deck boat) carrera completely stock. Efi, no carbs, runs smooth i would just like to get a few more miles per hour. Maybe a pro charger or supercharger but whatever you did to the 509 and was able to get 85 for 12k , i'd do that in a minute. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 92nsx
m3 pro charger with match prop for the new power...??
It might be around 70.
why a pro charger instead of a supercharger
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mckillop
i assume you plan on pulling the engine out? Is it carbed or efi? Do you have exhaust yet? If its an efi, heads/ cam/ and a ecu tune should get you some decent power. Call marine kenetics for that. Another option would be able to find a procharger with an intercooler in the swap shop for around $3k. That should put you in the mid-high 60's at least.
i'll call marine kenetics. Efi now, stock exhaust, i was really wondering with the money i have to work with should i rework the engine or leave alone and add a pro charger or supercharger again thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wasn't the 509 that went 85 it was the package. The platform was pretty efficient and balanced well.

We scaled the engine up with Heads, intake, pistons, rod length, stock stroke, Head placement, intake manifold, Throttle body, and injectors plus the necessary support parts, plus custom tune. We also installed an IMCO shortened lower unit, 5 blade custom prop, and a few other goodies.

A couple miles an hour is a relative term so help us out here. What is your point of reference?

Originally Posted by KITCHENSKARS
thank you for responding. It's a 257 party effect (deck boat) carrera completely stock. Efi, no carbs, runs smooth i would just like to get a few more miles per hour. Maybe a pro charger or supercharger but whatever you did to the 509 and was able to get 85 for 12k , i'd do that in a minute. Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 257 Party Effect. It had about a 575/600hp 509. It was a great ride and hit 80 occasionaly. High 70's always. It did have dual ram hydraulic steering. It was a great ride at that speed. I did not have any tabs and never had any handling problems. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mach80
I used to have a 257 Party Effect. It had about a 575/600hp 509. It was a great ride and hit 80 occasionaly. High 70's always. It did have dual ram hydraulic steering. It was a great ride at that speed. I did not have any tabs and never had any handling problems. Good luck with yours.
Thats what He was looking for. There You go. 600 Hp.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Registered

Take the 10K and buy a motorcycle for your 'need for speed'. That's what I did.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Registered

80mph is a lot to ask for 10k. I just built a 516 with a b&m 250 blower for just a tad over 10k. Lots of used parts. It runs 81.4mph on gps. It's a little under proped at the moment with a bblades 24p prop. Granted, its in a hull that ran 65mph with a stock 454/330hp Bbc. Like mentioned above, your looking at a handfull of things that will cost more AFTER you put the power in this boat to achieve the numbers you want.....hyd. steering, prop, drive upgrades, etc....

I think a good place to start (if you have a mag) would be heads (used Merlin's but preferably darts....maybe some dart iron eagle 308's), cam (Bob Madara @ Marine Kenetics......he is a super guy, very knowledgeable and will not steer you wrong. I have one of his cams in my new combo and couldn't be happier!), exhaust (stainless marine exhaust...used), a used procharger or used supercharger.

You'll need to decide if you're gonna stay with injection or go with a carb. I ended up going with a nickerson dominator. I paid $500.00 for the carb and another $750.00 for the work nickerson did....but it's a bad a$$ carb
and works great. I also already had my exhaust, ignition and the bblades
prop so the cost of my new motor didn't include any of that stuff.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KITCHENSKARS
why a pro charger instead of a supercharger
Pro charger is a supercharger Pro charger is jsut a name brand that deals with centrifugal style chargers. Im guessing your thinking of a roots style.

Also If you you know how to turn your own wrenches, you could install it your self in a weekend. Im planing on one this down season.

If you ask me, Pro charger reputability speaks for it self. Just dont hit the rev limiter on a mercruiser engine....... Mercury cuts fuel and you DON'T want that at 5200+ rpms under 5-7 lbs of boost.

http://www.procharger.com/marine.shtml

http://www.procharger.com/M_profiles.shtml