Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you initially time a BB before startup? >

How do you initially time a BB before startup?

Notices

How do you initially time a BB before startup?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be running either a volt max or msd box. What would timing be at wot or peak hp? If I'm saying this wrong by all means please correct me.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

no, start it a little retarded. 4 deg or so. rev motor. chech how much advance you actually have. then time it up to where you want it.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you should not simply assume your balancer marks and pointer are correct. use a positive stop method to identify top dead center on the balancer and pointer as they exist. then measure the circumfrence of the balancer using a narrow tape, divide that number by 360 and thats the radial distance per degree...multiply that number by the number of degrees you want marks for and mark ( or confirm) your balancer appropriately. they sell timing tapes for this at your local speed shop but knowing your tdc mark and pointer are correct is critical at this point.
if he wasent confused before,im sure he is now,he just wants to set initial timing before initial startup.as he stated,the engine is going for dyno tuning.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

if you are unsure how to set initial timing,let the dyno operator do it,he will no dobt check it anyway before he starts it.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

simplest method is if it cough or pops or doesnt start, you arent even close. loosen it up, turn the dist. a little, try and start again. after a couple tries the motor will fire right up, get your timing light out and set it. 5 minutes.....
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommybaja
What would timing be at wot or peak hp?
This is going to be determined by where it runs best on the dyno. Probably somewhere between 32* and 38*. Setting at 8* for intiatially starting it will be fine. The total timing at wot or actually above 3000rpm's is whats going to be important. That's where they will be determining it at. Where it ends up being during idleing isn't that critical. If it is too far off at idle then they will make a correction in the distributor advance curve.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Piston stop and timing tape is what I used when mine went back together. It's really the only way to know for sure that you are shooting the right number. And plus the timing tape shows up a lot better when shooting total.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
if he wasent confused before,im sure he is now,he just wants to set initial timing before initial startup.as he stated,the engine is going for dyno tuning.
not as confused as he would be if it has a mismatched front cover pointer and balancer and the marks are wrong by 20 degrees...

i know its a new concept for you to do the basics correctly first rather than fix the failures later but ponder on it and it some and will come to you, i'm sure.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Registered

All your information is very helpful and now I completely understand exactly what to do. I really appreciate all your help and I will post dyno numbers and try to get a picture of the sheet up. Should be within 2 weeks. Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
not as confused as he would be if it has a mismatched front cover pointer and balancer and the marks are wrong by 20 degrees...

i know its a new concept for you to do the basics correctly first rather than fix the failures later but ponder on it and it some and will come to you, i'm sure.
one thing i am sure of is that u r a rude azz hole and that will never change,just the fact that the op was looking for advice on initial timing sais he does not fully understand the concept,and u have no idea of my capabilities,or what i know,but as usual,u try to insult me,your jelousy shows brightly,but your comment shows that u r not to bright,carry on with your ignorance,it is what we have come to expect from you,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.