Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you initially time a BB before startup? >

How do you initially time a BB before startup?

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by mike tkach
one thing i am sure of is that u r a rude azz hole and that will never change,just the fact that the op was looking for advice on initial timing sais he does not fully understand the concept,and u have no idea of my capabilities,or what i know,but as usual,u try to insult me,your jelousy shows brightly,but your comment shows that u r not to bright,carry on with your ignorance,it is what we have come to expect from you,
hey mike look where he is from,lol,that should tell you his education level..look at the bright side,,we have access to all the cool s h i t and he has to go diving for it..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-17-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

ya,i think he may have toasted his brainor maybe sucked in some salt water

Last edited by mike tkach; 09-17-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not certain I would be telling the guy that 100% accurately explained how to locate perfect TDC with cylinder heads on, which is realistically one of the most crucial steps in putting it together that he has a toaster for a brain. It's not rocket science, it's the proper way to do it. I've been using it for years degreeing cams on DOHC cars instead of just relying on the factory marks, and guess what, alot of times they're off a degree or at least enough room for error that interpretation could go either way.

I honestly think he stated the steps pretty straight forward and easy to follow.

To offset praising him now I will indicate that the left side of his family tree looks more like a bush.... I'd rather have everybody hate me instead of just a few
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Kyain
I'm not certain I would be telling the guy that 100% accurately explained how to locate perfect TDC with cylinder heads on, which is realistically one of the most crucial steps in putting it together that he has a toaster for a brain. It's not rocket science, it's the proper way to do it. I've been using it for years degreeing cams on DOHC cars instead of just relying on the factory marks, and guess what, alot of times they're off a degree or at least enough room for error that interpretation could go either way.

I honestly think he stated the steps pretty straight forward and easy to follow.

To offset praising him now I will indicate that the left side of his family tree looks more like a bush.... I'd rather have everybody hate me instead of just a few
me personally would rather have the heads off instead of a piece of metal slamming into the top of a piston,,have you ever seen one ofe the sparkplug hole tdc locator in action?? well they flex out of shape when it come in contact with the piston and will throw off the 360* to 359*.and put a mark in the top of the piston,no thankyou.i understand what he is saying but if you read the whole post from the beginning you will see why im all over this..the main ? was asked was
he drew first blood....

Last edited by FIXX; 09-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

a piston stop on a bbc is shakey at best,as mrfixx said,they easily bend and even break off,the engine builder should have done that with a posative stop with head off during the build,thats how i have done it for years.the op did not want a lesson on piston stops,he just wanted to know how to initial time a bbc.nothing against the op,but if he was unsure how to initial time it,do you think he should be putting a piston stop in a spark plug hole.as usual steve attempts to insult me,HE DREW FIRST BLOOD.if u look back at some of his previous posts,u will see a pattern of rudeness and attempts of insults,i have his number,no worry what he sais,i have been doing this for almost 40 years.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
me personally would rather have the heads off instead of a piece of metal slamming into the top of a piston,,have you ever seen one ofe the sparkplug hole tdc locator in action?? well they flex out of shape when it come in contact with the piston and will throw off the 360* to 359*.and put a mark in the top of the piston,no thankyou.i understand what he is saying but if you read the whole post from the beginning you will see why im all over this..the main ? was asked was

he drew first blood....
Yes, I've used them many times on various engine builds. I've never had it not be right and use that technique for degreeing cams on every build I've done. I also never tried to turn the motor over with a 3' breaker bar into it. All it needs is first contact, a 3/8" ratchet with all the plugs out is more then adequate at that point.

I will give the caveat though that I am not a marine engine builder lol, I always built high performance over head cam turbo motors, which requires the cylinder head to be on there considering the cam or cams are up there.

Degree'ing an assembled motor isn't rocket science, quite easy imho. I'm also a big fan of do it right the first time, and while marking TDC while the heads are off by utilizing a dial indicator is another way to do it, when the OP says he has an assembled motor I think it's moving backwards even mentioning pulling the heads to do it.

I only added that because it's one of the coolest emoticons ever imho
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

KYAIN
let me start by saying welcome aboard,lots of knowledgeable people on oso,i dont know anything about stevexm,s family tree,and i have no intension of insulting his family,but i think he is the most rude individual i have ever dealt with on oso,and just to clarify,i didn,t say he has a toaster for a brain,i did say i think he has toasted his brain,buy the way,do you know steve,or did you just feel like this should be your first post?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

I'm just bored lol... never met the guy and only halfway paying attention to anything other then Manning completing near 50% of his passes to Atlanta

I've actually been around here for awhile, just lingered and finally registered. But it did seem quite odd to see a straightforward, easy to do approach getting blasted when I still feel he did give the best advice given the circumstances the OP posted.

You're right on the toaster thing.. I misread it... eitherway I'll still stick with it to offend all equally. I don't want anybody to feel left out. We've struggled too hard for equality in this country for me to only be a dick part of the time
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

the op stated that he has a newly rebuilt 540,i must assume that the builder had the heads off,unless he rebuilt it with a can of spray paint,do u get my drift,when i rebuild,i instaii the #1 piston,then install the cam,then find tdc,then i install a flexplate on the crank,and mark it with a pointer,now i can find tdc at any time during and after the build,but what do i know.bye the way,this is one of my favorites.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

I'm just bored lol... never met the guy and only halfway paying attention to anything other then Manning completing near 50% of his passes to Atlanta

I've actually been around here for awhile, just lingered and finally registered. But it did seem quite odd to see a straightforward, easy to do approach getting blasted when I still feel he did give the best advice given the circumstances the OP posted.

You're right on the toaster thing.. I misread it... eitherway I'll still stick with it to offend all equally. I don't want anybody to feel left out. We've struggled too hard for equality in this country for me to only be a dick part of the time
easy and straight foreward for someone who has done it a few times,but intiminating for someone who has no knoledge of engine building.also,i would pull the head any day before sticking a piston stop in a newly built [and tight]bbc,that is the proper way imo.and in closing,no future in being a dick,imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.