hydrolic steering >

hydrolic steering

Notices

hydrolic steering

Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a full system on the Cig that does not use a PS pump, man is that nice!!! no extra leaks and when I lose engine it still steers easy!!!

I will try to see what it is, looks kinda old school but man is hydraulic steering bad azz to have!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
There were three different hydraulic hose issues last season using their hoses and fittings. Me being one of them.
yes it was a big deal...mine was one to....
Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I contacted CP Performance and they recommended the Mayfair kit it was the least expensive. I already have a single cylinder with a cable helm. I have to do something, when I'm running over 80 the slop in the cable helm makes it hard to drive through the chine walk when the boat is running light.
What hoses and fittings come with the Hardin kit?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

The kit comes with mandrel fittings. I would do what was mentioned before. Measure all the hoses then bring them to a hydraulic shop and have them press on real fittings. One thing to remember is the banjo fitting that goes into the power steering pump is a different size than the rest. Also don't use pipe dope on any of the npt threads as the fluid will eat it away and cause a leak. I think most of the problems was with the fittings and not the hose itself.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
The kit comes with mandrel fittings. I would do what was mentioned before. Measure all the hoses then bring them to a hydraulic shop and have them press on real fittings. One thing to remember is the banjo fitting that goes into the power steering pump is a different size than the rest. Also don't use pipe dope on any of the npt threads as the fluid will eat it away and cause a leak. I think most of the problems was with the fittings and not the hose itself.
I am not sure whos kit you are talking about . All I can reference is the Hardin marine kit. When I did have an issue the customer service rep treated me like I was some kind of an idiot and stated they have been using this type of hose and fittings for years. It was only after I mentioned that I was aware of a couple others this year alone having the same issues did they change their tune. I was told to package up the hoses with my receipt for the replacement hoses and ship them back with a RMA number and they would get back with me to determine what thay were going to do about my expenses resovolving this issue. I didnt ask them for labor tho remove their hoses and install mine or what it woud cost to clean up the three quarts of power steering fluid that was pumper threw out my dash and cutty, or the towing expense. Well its been a couple of months now and no word from them. Im sure The folks at Hardin Marine are monitoring this thread,and all I can say is when ever I get a chance to state how these circumstances took place I will. This was a potential catastophic issue and you had no reply. I just finished doing 90mph plus and fortunatly the hose blew at idle and not while we were under way.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I was talking about the mayfair kit which comes with mandrel fittings as that was the question that was asked. Sorry about your problems. I have nothing to do with hardine marine.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I've done a lot of high pressure hydraulics in the past and we always made our own hoses with mandrel fittings. We always used Parker Hannifin hoses and fittings and we never had one leak. We also used Loctite Teflon pipe sealant and never had a problem. We were building systems that ran at 2500 psi and 1.5" lines. If you are doing your own, just make sure your using quality materials.