bellows leak?

Notices

bellows leak?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bellows leak?

hey guys,
while winterizing my boat i noticed on my port side motor when the anti freeze would go thru the muff up thru the out drive (alpha 1 as far as i know) just before it went into the transom a little constant stream would spit out just before entering the boat.(it did not do this on the starboard side motor) is this a bellows (hose?) leak. mind you this is on the same side that the Trim stopped going up and down slowly while cutting out as well as does not go in reverse (as far as im told, from the guy i bought it off, it needs a new shift cable). not sure if it has anything to do with it but you never know the more information the better the answer ill get
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

remove the out drive and check the Gasket...

Last edited by boatnt; 11-04-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a winter project. Pull the drives replace cables, bellows, gaskets & grease up the u joints. Its really not that bad to do. I had to do it on my 88" baja 280 a couple years back.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldn't be the bellows. From what you say I would think it has a leak in the hose that runs between the bell housing and transom assembly. Part #17 in the diagram.
http://www.perfprotech.com/mercruise...03/60?model=77

Or if it's spiting out between the drive and bell housing then it would be o-ring #9.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

first, alpha as far as you know. you need to know. ebay search. alpha drive and bravo drive. look at the pics of both. compare. now you know. it is gonna be hose or o-ring as pickle said. do both shift cables, gimble boots, hoses mentioned prev post, and shift boots. whatever is bad on one side is dying on the other side. and make sure you get that one drive trimmed down for the winter. don't leave them up. in fact, you might wanna spend the winter shopping for spare trim cyls.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
It wouldn't be the bellows. From what you say I would think it has a leak in the hose that runs between the bell housing and transom assembly. Part #17 in the diagram.
http://www.perfprotech.com/mercruise...03/60?model=77

Or if it's spiting out between the drive and bell housing then it would be o-ring #9.
Thanks ill have to look at that!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
first, alpha as far as you know. you need to know. ebay search. alpha drive and bravo drive. look at the pics of both. compare. now you know. it is gonna be hose or o-ring as pickle said. do both shift cables, gimble boots, hoses mentioned prev post, and shift boots. whatever is bad on one side is dying on the other side. and make sure you get that one drive trimmed down for the winter. don't leave them up. in fact, you might wanna spend the winter shopping for spare trim cyls.
They are the Alphas i got them down thats pretty much how i found out it was going bad it just took FOREVER and then wouldn't go back up while i was on the trailer. so i just put it down (i trailer them down i have plenty of room to) and when i open the res cap for the trim pump fluid it was milky