Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup >

Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup

Notices

Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup

Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup

Just bought a procharger self contained unit for my 502 mpi it came with everything but the fuel system which I heard sucks anyway

It came with all the brackets, piping and intercooler
What else do I need?

What fuel system do you guys recommend ...send me links if you would like anything will help as I am new to superchargers

Ecm Tuning?
A/f ratio gauge?

Any info or tips will be helpful
Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered

Aeromotive, SX, MagnaFuel - all have good pumps as well as pressure regulators. I run an SX pump and Areomotive regulator in mine. I tune my own program with Mefi Burn and Tuner Pro and use the FAST dual sensor O2 meter. I'm sure others will chime in with different options.

Do you know what model ECM you have?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I copy and pasted a reply I made to another member a few weeks ago. There is a ton of info on here if you do a search.

IMO, there are several things that should be done if you want it to live a long life and run to its potential.
First, you should change the head gaskets to Cometics. If you are going to run over about 3 psi, then the exhaust valves should be changed to something like Manley's Inconel valves. You will also need to upgrade the fuel system. Take the Procharger regulator and throw it in the garbage. Use a standard 1:1 boost referenced regulator, like an Aeromotive. I would replace not only the fuel filter head to a larger one, but also the fuel lines and the pickup in the tank if it isn't large enough.(most are not large enough in production type boats)

Depending on the year of the 502 mags, there were 3 different versions of the fuel rails. The pre 99 versions have a few issues. The supply hole to the #7 injector needs to be opened up in a mill. Also, the rail should be fed fuel from both ends so that one end isn't run dry. There are quite a few other mods that needs to be done to the rail in order to make it really work correctly. The 99 and up rail needs less mods. It still should be fed from both ends, but it is already threaded for 1/4" NPT, so it's much easier to do.

With 5 psi boost, you should be in the 625 hp area. The stock injectors are good to about 650 hp without killing them by running them to hard. You can make more than 650, but it takes its toll on the injectors. If you have a pre 99 fuel rail, then you will have the Keihin injectors. There are no drop in replacements that are larger than the stockers. You can install larger injectors but it requires drilling out both the intake and the rails. If you have a 99 and up, they use the shorty injectors, so they can be replaced with larger ones if you want to make more power.

The other thing that must be addressed in the ecm. Obviously, it will need to be retuned. The best bet is to put it on the dyno and tune it.

We have done a TON of these. I actually have a few in the shop now that we are doing. If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to give me a call anytime.
Eddie
615-216-7449 shop
504-416-3607 cell
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

did you buy a M1 or a M3?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I copy and pasted a reply I made to another member a few weeks ago. There is a ton of info on here if you do a search.

IMO, there are several things that should be done if you want it to live a long life and run to its potential.
First, you should change the head gaskets to Cometics. If you are going to run over about 3 psi, then the exhaust valves should be changed to something like Manley's Inconel valves. You will also need to upgrade the fuel system. Take the Procharger regulator and throw it in the garbage. Use a standard 1:1 boost referenced regulator, like an Aeromotive. I would replace not only the fuel filter head to a larger one, but also the fuel lines and the pickup in the tank if it isn't large enough.(most are not large enough in production type boats)

Depending on the year of the 502 mags, there were 3 different versions of the fuel rails. The pre 99 versions have a few issues. The supply hole to the #7 injector needs to be opened up in a mill. Also, the rail should be fed fuel from both ends so that one end isn't run dry. There are quite a few other mods that needs to be done to the rail in order to make it really work correctly. The 99 and up rail needs less mods. It still should be fed from both ends, but it is already threaded for 1/4" NPT, so it's much easier to do.

With 5 psi boost, you should be in the 625 hp area. The stock injectors are good to about 650 hp without killing them by running them to hard. You can make more than 650, but it takes its toll on the injectors. If you have a pre 99 fuel rail, then you will have the Keihin injectors. There are no drop in replacements that are larger than the stockers. You can install larger injectors but it requires drilling out both the intake and the rails. If you have a 99 and up, they use the shorty injectors, so they can be replaced with larger ones if you want to make more power.

The other thing that must be addressed in the ecm. Obviously, it will need to be retuned. The best bet is to put it on the dyno and tune it.

We have done a TON of these. I actually have a few in the shop now that we are doing. If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to give me a call anytime.
Eddie
615-216-7449 shop
504-416-3607 cell
Wow thanks Eddie for all the great info...I'm sure I will be calling you in the spring...we're not going to go crazy with the setup probably 3psi to start then may bump it up to 5 the following season if everything goes well
Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
did you buy a M1 or a M3?
M1 sorry I forgot to state that earlier
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Aeromotive, SX, MagnaFuel - all have good pumps as well as pressure regulators. I run an SX pump and Areomotive regulator in mine. I tune my own program with Mefi Burn and Tuner Pro and use the FAST dual sensor O2 meter. I'm sure others will chime in with different options.

Do you know what model ECM you have?
I see you have a 27 fountain ...what does it run for speed with a procharger if it has one and what psi of boost are you running
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

So these are not as easy as they are made out to be..??
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
So these are not as easy as they are made out to be..??
What do you mean by that...please explain as I am new to them
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Lol..me too..that's why I'm asking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.