Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup >

Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup

Notices

Just bought a procharger for my 502mpi need help with setup

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the procharger kit,as sold by the company will work if you follow the instructions,but is far from being ideal and/or precise...if you want to do a good job,you have to ''improve'' this kit with a good regulator,bigger fuel lines,better mapping of the ecm,etc...Eddie Young is da man to contact for info and parts
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
So these are not as easy as they are made out to be..??
Yes and no. At just a couple of pounds of boost, they are OK. Anymore and you end up with pretty high fuel pressures that are difficult to keep consistent. Procharger uses a rising rate regulator. For example, Iit will increase the fuel pressure by 3 psi for every psi of boost. Some are even higher than that. If you have 50 psi on the stock engine and you add 7psi of boost, then you will have over 70 psi under boost. It's to hard to maintain that pressure on a consistent basis since fuel changes from place to place and times bought. There are differences in specific gravity,summer and winter blends, etc. On top of that, all that pressure takes it's toll on the injectors. To make sure it's safe, Procharger sets them up a little rich. If you start playing with it so that it doesn't soot the transom, then it may be just fine today, a little rich tomorrow, and to lean the next day. You pretty much have to put up with some soot on the transom. Some are bad enough to periodically foul the plugs, some are not. They simply tried to do it without any programming.

When they first started the kits, Merc engines had a Mefi 1 that has no provision for boost, so they had to use the rising rate regulator. Later engines with the Mefi 3 could just be programmed correctly since they have boost tables. The biggest problem that I have with them (beside the regulator not being worth a damn) is that they don't mention anything about the rest of the fuel system. Most stock pickups, fuel lines, fuel filter heads,etc, are not able to handle the extra fuel demands.That's where most failures occur. Again, you can probably get away with only a few psi of boost.Anymore than that and you are playing with fire.
Eddie
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have the adapter for your intake, does not just go to your stock one I have the setup if you need along with the EFI regulator from aeromotive.....Rob [email protected]
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
If you don't have the adapter for your intake, does not just go to your stock one I have the setup if you need along with the EFI regulator from aeromotive.....Rob [email protected]
Sweet thanks we will be in touch I'm going to need a few things
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to give me a call I can go over some of the things with these...Rob 540-786-8111
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
If you want to give me a call I can go over some of the things with these...Rob 540-786-8111
I do need a crank pulley anyone have one of those?