Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Instrumentation anywhere you wanted >

Instrumentation anywhere you wanted

Notices

Instrumentation anywhere you wanted

Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been a lot of talk about NEMA on this thread. I have custom motors and unless they were built by merc then they wont be Nema compatible. I would love to have a digital display but my understanding is that I cant due to the electronics
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
There has been a lot of talk about NEMA on this thread. I have custom motors and unless they were built by merc then they wont be Nema compatible. I would love to have a digital display but my understanding is that I cant due to the electronics
If you really wanted a digital display you can have one. I plan to instrument every aspect of my engines this year. I will not be using a display rather than a lap top so all this info can be recorded and played back. If you are familiar with how the car OEM's collect data and perform vaildation it will be similiar.

With the instrumentation he is talking about the sky is the limit. A controller and display will be needed I prefer them to be CAN (J1939, J1979, J2411) this way you will have a ton less wires going to the helm and many other reasons as well.

Last edited by Jason3603; 12-04-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pstorti
You should have a look at www.maretron.com they have NMEA compatible systems that can monitor just about every parameter you could ever want on a boat. They use ultrasonic sensors for tank level monitoring. They also have several displays in addition to all the sensors. Do you sell or rep any 4-20ma pressure transducers, 0-50psi, 12v?
Yes, but I need the fluid to be measured, process fitting, output pressure range, cable length etc.

I can fix you up, just need to make sure we give you the right parts. All of ours use Ceramic diaphrams for longevity, and a titanium housing option for a 5 year corrosion warranty. Currently we are showing an average mean time between failure of 10-12 years in zero maintenance environments.

We have optional Kynar housings as well for hot acid applications.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jason3603
If you really wanted a digital display you can have one. I plan to instrument every aspect of my engines this year. I will not be using a display rather than a lap top so all this info can be recorded and played back. If you are familiar with how the car OEM's collect data and perform vaildation it will be similiar.

With the instrumentation he is talking about the sky is the limit. A controller and display will be needed I prefer them to be CAN (J1939, J1979, J2411) this way you will have a ton less wires going to the helm and many other reasons as well.
I can engineer all of this stuff for CAN output, If you want to work on a project together then give me a call. The main road block on this project for us is the cost of the test bed, sensors for this type of project I can get us a discount on. We just need to work on the engineering, and eventual data sharing with the independent manufacturers.

Last edited by jeff1000man; 12-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Load sensors can be engineered into the drive housings to determine bearing and shaft movement, but this would be expensive.

Need someone with an R&D budget to do somethiing like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I can engineer all of this stuff for CAN output, If you want to work on a project together then give me a call. The main road block on this project for us is the cost of the test bed, sensors for this type of project I can get us a discount on. We just need to work on the engineering, and eventual data sharing with the independent manufacturers.
I use Ipetroniks daqs and most of the snsors and other equipment. Definetly, let's getting together. I will send you a pm. Instrumenting a marine engine in the aftermarket is pretty much unheard of.

Jason
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I use Ipetroniks daqs and most of the snsors and other equipment. Definetly, let's getting together. I will send you a pm. Instrumenting a marine engine in the aftermarket is pretty much unheard of.

Jason
We are looking at a Merc powered DOnzi right now to add some stuff to, but will not be modifying anything to do with the current merc stuff.

Starting simple with drive temp T couples, engine oil T couples, pressure sensors in various places etc for right now.

Using a simple 16 channel data taker with USB output.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

We are looking at a Merc powered DOnzi right now to add some stuff to, but will not be modifying anything to do with the current merc stuff.

Starting simple with drive temp T couples, engine oil T couples, pressure sensors in various places etc for right now.

Using a simple 16 channel data taker with USB output.
I have enough daq's to do 64 thermal couples, type T and K along with 24 various sensors ( pressure, amp, position etc).

I plan to have this all sync'd with what the engine is doing so I can collect the data and play back to see how things were running.

What software are you using? I prefer Ipemotion.

Last edited by Jason3603; 12-04-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have enough daq's to do 64 thermal couples, type T and K along with 24 various sensors ( pressure, amp, position etc).

I plan to have this all sync'd with what the engine is doing so I can collect the data and play back to see how things were running.

What software are you using? I prefer Ipemotion.
I am very limited on the software side of it. I rely on my boss to know what to do with that part.

If you need a good outlet for T couples, then let me know. I was going to try staring with the washer type under a bolt, and go from there.

We are reps for Nanmac, PMC, STS, Hoffer, Wilcoxon, Celesco among others. Lots of signal conditioners etc.

http://www.talontechsales.com/

My new website wont be out until first quarter next year.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, but I need the fluid to be measured, process fitting, output pressure range, cable length etc.

I can fix you up, just need to make sure we give you the right parts. All of ours use Ceramic diaphrams for longevity, and a titanium housing option for a 5 year corrosion warranty. Currently we are showing an average mean time between failure of 10-12 years in zero maintenance environments.

We have optional Kynar housings as well for hot acid applications.
Two are for turbo boost, measured in the intake manifold after the intercooler, two are for sea water pressure in the open side of the cooling system, and one for diesel fuel pressure leave the filtration system. The water pressure sensors might make sense to have snubbers to prevent damage from spikes when the boat renters the water after getting air. All can be 1/8" NPT thread, 0-50 psi output, 10' of cable should be plenty, and have to be 4-20 ma output.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.