Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
489 post mortem >

489 post mortem

Notices

489 post mortem

Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

EZ, I agree with you that the pump failure was probably loading the gear. I guess I may never find out what went through there, but it was substantial from the look of the damage.

Now I guess I need to start looking for an oil cooler. Chime in if anyone has one they want to sell cheap!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show a pic of the cooler I have a brand new one if it will match up. Randy
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Can you show a pic of the cooler I have a brand new one if it will match up. Randy
Randy, it's a stock Merc combo oil / ps cooler on there now. I can get a picture, but it's just like all the other Merc coolers that commonly came on the 454 Mags. I wouldn't mind replacing it with something larger, maybe just a dedicated oil cooler. I think I could pick up a PS cooler and move it to the other side. Let me know what you have, and how much you need to have for it.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't see thrust collar and shim above dist. gear, that could account for gear wear pattern.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run one of the larger ones from eddie marine...nice piece and use #10 lines and aftermarket filter adapter...merc stuff is a joke...need to get rid of that, itis so restrictive, just look at the lines, fittings etc...good luck

Last edited by ezstriper; 12-02-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an oil pump that looked like that once. It was caused by a broken lifter needle bearing going through. I agree that, if you didn't lose oil pressure, your bearings must be tight. Trash in the bearings is easy to see as little individual particles inbedded in the surface and your bearing is pretty clean.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 12-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.