Shaft mount roller rocker arms >

Shaft mount roller rocker arms

Notices

Shaft mount roller rocker arms

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaft mount roller rocker arms

Wanted to throw this out there and see what the marine industry prefers. Is it prefered to use a stainless steel or aluminum shaft mounted rocker arm? The big players in the industry off both. Just curious what is used regularly in the marine industry.

Jason
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

No one uses shaft rocker arms? If not what do you guys use in big HP motors?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer T&D shaft rockers but the amount of money they cost most will go with a crane style rocker..
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I believe it comes down to lifecycle and cost of the rocker arm. Depending on spring pressure, the aluminum version will eventually fatigue and crack, but comes with reduced weight as compared to a standard stainless arm and at a better price point.

Shaft mount rockers are a custom piece and come with many avaliable options if you want to pay for them. Stainless will be heavier unless you opt for a lightened version and will outlast the aluminum in terms of hours...

If your interested in a new set contact Bob Madara. He recently supplied me with T&D's and I couldn't be happier!

Last edited by DesertRage; 12-06-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i run jesel shaft style due to solid roller high lift and high spring rates .i also run lash caps .2 seasons now the lash hasent moved .the system is nice and as others have stated expensive
Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont think its as much as a ''HP'' question, as it is a setup question. Point being, if your running a high lift solid cammed setup with lots of spring pressure and RPM, then you'll want either shaft rockers, or a good stainless rocker. If your running a moderate hyd roller, mild spring pressures, and mild rpm, a aluminum rocker will work fine.

Crower makes a nice stainless rocker. Crane, and Scorpion make nice aluminum rockers.

I just replaced two sets of crane gold roller rockers. They were stamped 1985. They served their purpose for 27 years. out of 32 rocker arms, two had cracked trunnions. Replaced with same crane golds, just newer. The newer versions are much beefier than the old ones.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...life-span.html
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

I had a valve break and after Ferrea inspected the valve the conclusion was valve train instability. It was recomended I stabilize the valve train by going with a minimum .120 push rod and shaft rockers. Since I like to know the options of whats available rather than take someone's word for it, I typically do a ton of research. I like to make a well informed decision. I seen most manufacturers offer shaft rockers in aluminum and stainless. So I thought I would start a thread about it to see what was preferred throughout the marine industry.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for posting the link. A lot of info in there. Pretty much answers all of my questions. Thanks again.

Last edited by Jason3603; 12-06-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Spend the money up front, something steel or stainless , skip the aluminum as they have a expiration date, run thickest wall pushrods you can with shaft rockers IF its in your budget and you will have a bullet proof vale train , I have had good results with T/D, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.