Nosecones......what type??? >

Nosecones......what type???

Notices

Nosecones......what type???

Old 07-17-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nosecones......what type???

I have looked into a few different type. One thing I found was that a place in Florida (Bob's Machine Shop) sells nosecones........alot of them and different types. Another nice thing is they install and prefer to install certain types.
Now on the pics on their site I see a fitting and hose off the top of the lower unit and they mentioned something about attaching it to the upper for water flow. They weren't to explanitory after that...can someone possibly fill in some aras ...what do the water hoses atach to in the upper. Do you have to drill and tap the upper?
The site is www.bobsmachine.com
Old 07-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

enticer,

the water hose is to get the water from the cavity behind the nose cone up into the lower.. Sounds like it may have low water pickup.. the holes are on the botom of the cone.. If they block off the uppper holes then they transfer the water thru the hose to the upper. You have to drill and tap into the cavity that the water is suppose to go to.. It has been a while since I messed with this setup, but that is basically the principle..

Nosecones are not all alike.. a friend of mine tried a Bob's on his boat and it just made the stern dig in and drag too much.. He called and talked to them.. they kept saying put a smaller prop on... well he changed to a Hydromotive and that worked great..
I am not saying that one brand is better than another, but in this case one worked better on his hull.. So the question is.. what brand and what kind..??? Look around and find out what everyone else is running with your hull and motor combination.. and prop and all.. Then you can bypass the learning curve.
How fast are you going, the new bravo's are suppose to be good for 80mph or so.. much below 80 and you wont gain much.. unless the boat is hitting a wall and wont go faster.. Blow out is another sign that the bullet is too short.. Blow out is when you are all trimmed out and going real fast, the bow drops and the back of the boat walks on the prop... you take a quick left turn... It will wake you up!!
I hope this helps.. keep asking questions and you will make the right selection..

Good luck..

Dick
Old 07-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Mr G......I have a cat with Bravo I's and I just tried a set of cleavers. I feel they will give me more if they had more water to grab. With nose cones....I believe this will happen. But i am not in favor of drilling a tapping. The Bravos' I have are LWP.....so my alternative might be to go with thru-the-hull water pickups. But I am not too much in favor of that either. I haven't run across a nosecone yet for LWP's. But will keep looking.
I am running about 96.6 mph on the gps...just thought the cleavers and cones would hump me over the triple digit..
Old 07-17-2002, 10:02 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

enticer,

Sounds like nose cones would help.. I know about nothing about cat setup.. but the basics apply.. keep checking around for similiar boats and what they are running.. That will be a big help..

You will surely be able to hit that century mark...

good luck

Dick
Old 07-17-2002, 11:05 PM
Sec Agent Man

Enticer try the Imco nose cones they work the best

price is about $85.00

Old 07-17-2002, 11:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Enticer,

Most of the Eliminators in our area use the Leading Edge Cone and it has a low water pick up tube.

A friend of mine broke a drive on his 28 daytona last year and ran one drive with a cone and one without for a few weekends. The one without would start slipping compared to the other drive above 85. This was according to the tachs.

rbtnt
Old 07-18-2002, 06:58 AM
Registered

Sec Agent Man and rbtnt

Thanks for the response.
The Imcos.......are not friendly to LWP's....unless you have a thru-the-hull intake. Also ...isn;t there something about you should still get water through the drive for cooling purposes?

rbtnt....tried calling PRI....but gave up.....I'll try again.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Enticer,

I have through hulls for the engines and use the drive water pickup for my water cooled billet drive caps.

I know the PRI guys are water testing a couple of boats this morning. They are usually there till 5:30 or 6:00.

Good Luck,
rbtnt
Old 07-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Registered

Yes...I called today....Kelly was out testing a Black Thunder........was supposed to call me back....but guess they got busy
I am out of here......going now to pick up the boat and to Fairport harbor in the AM