Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say? >

Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say?

Notices

Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

One of the last stations in my area to carry non-ethanol fuel just changed out their pumps and now carry E-10, E-15, E-30, and E-85. Ba$tards...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I think its great! I love corn, have ethanol for breakfast every morning mmmmm yummy!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WARNING! The #1 Epidemic: E15 Ethanol Destroys Your Engine
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Yes ethanol is great. It costs more to produce E10 than gasoline, it performs worse, and it gets worse fuel economy. It is less stable and corrodes our fuel systems. The government subsidizes the ethanol costs so we are paying for it twice, once at the pumps, and again in our taxes.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Registered

I think it's chit; I was running ethanal gas in my lawn care stuff, both of my hedge trimmer's and my weedwacker would only run on choke and stall constantly stall. I took the carb's apart and they were spotless( tools are only a few years old ) so i went the gas station and got some non ethanal gas both hedge trimmers started to run better in about 10 minutes no more choke and they stayed idling. same goes for my tractor no choke when warmed up and it idled smooth. was it the gas yes. the ethanal gas i was running was not that old. hope this helps it helped me
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
You are 90% correct on your points except you CANNOT get 92 octane from 85 by just adding 10% ethanol- 85 octane becomes 87.9 octane at 10%
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...n-ethenol.html
"Another thing to keep in mind is just do the math: IF base stock was only 80 octane and pure ethanol is 113-115 octane and the gas is SUPPOSED to be 10% (I have seen it higher) take 10 gallons and do the math- 9 gallons of 80 octane, 1 gallon of Ethanol, now multiply 9x 80 =720, add 114 to 720=834. Ok , now divide 834 by 10= 83.4 octane. If base stock was 85 octane, 85 x 9=765 + 114=879 divided by= 87.9 When you buy 93 octane they have to boost the base stock to a MINIMUM of 90.5 octane BEFORE adding the ethanol even if they make up the complete difference with the full 10% ethanol, so you are still getting pretty good fuel when buying 93 octane IF its actually what they claim it is, Smitty"
I was using round numbers for example, I did not know the actual numbers. Point is when the ethanol breaks down and absorbs water, your octane rating is no longer what it was advertised to be.

Your numbers to explain why we have non ethanol fuel local, but it can only be purchased as 91 octane....they simply are not making 93 anymore, they use ethanol to boost the 91 base stock.

Scary thing is they are proposing 15% as the new standard, won't be long and the base stock will be crap.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the issues I see are carbed engines that sit for any length of time, gas evaporates leaving a slimy mess, been thru so many carbs...only cure I found was to make sure you run out of fuel before letting sit for anything longer than a few days..that seems to work for now..
Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Besides what has been posted already, it will also cause Merc efi/mpi engines to vapor lock much easier.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

Lastly Ethanol is made from the most important commodity in the US...CORN! If you don't know what is made from corn let me fill you in......everything! Not only it is our primary source of food products, it is also food for our food! The list of things we make from corn would blow your mind, do a quick google search.

So, with that being said. As we become more dependent on ethanol we drive up the cost of all fuel products and anything made from corn....great idea!
So you want to limit what we make from corn? Why? The corn that is used for Ethanol is only used for feed. The only part of the corn that is used is the starch. That is what passes through cattle and ends up on the ground anyway. After the fermenting process the byproduct is still feed to cattle, pigs and chickens. so 2/3 of a bushel of corn is still fed and is a higher quality feed than feeding straight corn.
As to the other post Ethanol is no longer subsidized. wind energy and celulosic ethanol are.
I only run E10 in my first tankfull of the season in the boat. My marina has non ethanol 89 octane that I run the rest of the year.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Registered

for those stating your buying non-ethanol gas, they are lying to you. ethanol(oxigenate) is required by epa, minimum percent would be around 5-8percent. shell v-power has been lowest. a problem is that it cleans out distribution network trash and puts into your engine, hence the goop. i think that it also causes fuel injectors to scuff, top-end lube or small amount of tcw-III seems to help injectors. stabilizer all the time, seems to put off humidity get to the ethanol and mix. quickleen or similar helps work gunk thru engine. after katrina we had hugh problems, they have gone down, but fuel is alot of engine performance issues. europe is going to high octane 96-102 high percentage petroleum for economy and emissions just for thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.