Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say? >

Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say?

Notices

Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://pure-gas.org/

For those of you that have seen what ethanol has done to destroy our lawn equipment, boat motors and classic cars ect...Anything that doesn't get started everyday.
Here is a site that keeps track of places that sell non ethanol gas all over the United States.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

No. Not even close. People blame every problem on ethanol nowadays. Very few are caused by ethanol. I don't like it but it has become a scapegoat for everything.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Seems to work just fine in my boat! Dosen't seem to bother my truck either! Oh wait it's a Diesel!! ha ha lol just havin fun Sorry.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pismo10
No. Not even close. People blame every problem on ethanol nowadays. Very few are caused by ethanol. I don't like it but it has become a scapegoat for everything.
:
Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Registered

Run the blue Startron additive, it acts as a stabilizer, and also helps bond the ethanol to the fuel, and reduces or eliminates the attraction of moisture. I was never a believer in additives, but I use it, and no issues, at all. Local marine mechanics (reputable, not hacks) simply say that guys who are not running Startron are blowing motors, guys who are, are not. Good enough for me...
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by keith2500hd
for those stating your buying non-ethanol gas, they are lying to you. ethanol(oxigenate) is required by epa, minimum percent would be around 5-8percent. shell v-power has been lowest. a problem is that it cleans out distribution network trash and puts into your engine, hence the goop. i think that it also causes fuel injectors to scuff, top-end lube or small amount of tcw-III seems to help injectors. stabilizer all the time, seems to put off humidity get to the ethanol and mix. quickleen or similar helps work gunk thru engine. after katrina we had hugh problems, they have gone down, but fuel is alot of engine performance issues. europe is going to high octane 96-102 high percentage petroleum for economy and emissions just for thought.
Please post some documentation of the 5-8% ethanol EPA requirement. I find it hard to believe that my boat vapor locks with E10/10% ethanol but doesn't with 5-8% ethanol. I know there is an EPA mandate to put so many(13+ million gallons) of ethanol into fuel on a national basis, but have never seen anything about "sneaking" 5-8% into non ethanol fuel.
European octane ratings are different from US octane ratings.

Last edited by Griff; 02-03-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by keith2500hd
for those stating your buying non-ethanol gas, they are lying to you. ethanol(oxigenate) is required by epa, minimum percent would be around 5-8percent. shell v-power has been lowest. a problem is that it cleans out distribution network trash and puts into your engine, hence the goop. i think that it also causes fuel injectors to scuff, top-end lube or small amount of tcw-III seems to help injectors. stabilizer all the time, seems to put off humidity get to the ethanol and mix. quickleen or similar helps work gunk thru engine. after katrina we had hugh problems, they have gone down, but fuel is alot of engine performance issues. europe is going to high octane 96-102 high percentage petroleum for economy and emissions just for thought.
Yes people are buying ethanol free gas in my region, Straight 87. I would think it should be in your area too.
If its an 89 product, yeah, 10%
wondering where you get that information? ties with Big River??
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
bull**** !!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 seasons over 800hrs with efi and carbs both.never even the slightest issue.its the topic of debate at our marina right now.closest distributor is in central wis for 90cents more than petrol fuel.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Heres my take on ethanol. I have been running e85 for 4+ years in my weekend street car. I would never put regular gas in that engine again if I had a choice. I heard nothing but "issues" using it. Everything I heard about it never happened to me. My engine is a turboed sbf. Engine was built 5 years ago and had ZERO issues with it. In my experience, and all my friends running e85, the engine runs smoother, cooler and makes more power. You can not compare octane ratings with ethanol as the cooling affect of the alcohol is not included in the rating. E85 has an octane of about 105 on the gasoline scale but with the heat absorbing ability of it is is more like 115 octane. I have read that it will attack bare aluminum. I just took off a set of bare aluminum fuel rails, they were spotless. Changed intakes, the intake ports and valves had very little carbon on them. I just dropped the 22 year stock fuel tank. Almost rust free, just a few tiny spots. I do run a small amount of alcohol lube in the e85 just to be cautious.

IMO pros of the e85 are: race gas octane at premium gas price, smoother running engine, much wider/safer a/f window (ran my 9:1 engine at 15psi boost at a 15:1 a/f ( when alt died) with no side affects on the engine other than reduced power), engine runs smoother-it even idles better, my engine coolant temp dropped 10-15*.

Cons: less mpg (price per mile comes out to around premium fuel price on land), limit on stations to fill up, it will deteriate some fuel lines-especially the small motor lines like lawnmower, weed wacker etc.

I have never ran it in a boat. It does absorb moisture, not sure how it would affect it. My car sits for months at a time during the winter months. Never had any moisture issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.