Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say? >

Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say?

Notices

Ethanol is it as harmfull as they say?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

The only problem I personally have had with the"blended" fuel is in my weed wacker. It ate the fuel line away and the primer bulb. No issues in any of my cars or carbed outboard engine.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10% eth messed up the gas cap on my Stihl weed wacker. That happened, then I got a notice from Stihl that 10% can or will cause such an issue. Took it back to where I bought it and they gave me a new/different cap. Been ok since then.

I try not to use the blended fuel in my boat. If it's all that's available to get me home, I'll take on only what I need. Then fill up with eth free 91 or 93 at the 1st opportunity.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
There is actually an article in USA Today this morning that says it is significantly more problematic in cars than initially thought.

Imagine that! Big surprise there....
you should see my poor john deere carb.... I use t be able to leave ol nast regular gas in that thing forever, never clean it. With ethanold, I have to pull my carb aart and clean up a white goo, which I am assuming is ethanol eating either my gas tank or float bowl slowly.

Also, even though ethanol has a higher detonation point it ihas quite a bi less actual energy produced.

I see guys running e85 just so they can make another 50-100hp on cars, at the expensive of oh.. 1800cc injectos on a 4 banger vs maybe 850 for a pump gas build lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Octane ?

Just need to make a quick point.

Not sure if everyone is aware.

Low octane 87 is a more volatile fuel which if run in a high compression motor can result in detonation. High cylinder compression can ignite this fuel when turned off and damage will occur quickly.

High Octane 93 less volatile fuel recommended for higher compression motors is to prevent high cylinder temps from causing detonation "run on"

Many believe that the high octane fuel equates into higher performance which is true in higher compression motors to protect from detonation.

If you are aware that's great.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Payton
So you want to limit what we make from corn? Why? The corn that is used for Ethanol is only used for feed. The only part of the corn that is used is the starch. That is what passes through cattle and ends up on the ground anyway. After the fermenting process the byproduct is still feed to cattle, pigs and chickens. so 2/3 of a bushel of corn is still fed and is a higher quality feed than feeding straight corn.
As to the other post Ethanol is no longer subsidized. wind energy and celulosic ethanol are.
I only run E10 in my first tankfull of the season in the boat. My marina has non ethanol 89 octane that I run the rest of the year.
You missed my point, not talking about the current production. If this entire country was on E85 we could not make it just using the current "feed corn" that we produce. Other farms would have to convert to growing gas, and they would cause cash crop farming is way easier and would be more profitable as demand went up. Soon we would lose land used for other crops to cash crop corn, and prices would go up. Dairy farms would shut down and start growing fuel corn for cash, milk and dairy would sky rocket.

What happens when E85 goes world wide? We are the worlds largest grower of corn, the demand would hit us! Anyone would land and the ability to grow corn would be in good shape. The rest of the country would see food and any of the other 2 million things made from corn quadruple in price.

The great thing is oil prices would most likely go down, but you can't eat oil!

The crazy thing is hemp grows faster, has a higher gallon to ton ratio for ethanol than corn, and you can grow 10x more per acre than rows of corn....but the gov't doesn't want field of marijuana covering half the country

Ethanol from corn is not the answer, not even close. We have been having this conversation for 20 years....not much progress IMO
Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Registered

Do any of the aftermarket products like the blue Staybil help?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 178 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tx howard
Do any of the aftermarket products like the blue Staybil help?
There are a large number of aftermarket products out there that claim to prevent / mitigate / cure the negative effects of ethanol in gasoline. Do they work? From what I can find out from folks who know, many of them can prevent or at least stall off some of the effects. But, since the mixing and final concentration of these additives is a crap shoot based on the person adding them, I don't think there's a definitive answer. What I would venture is that if you have fresh E85 and add the correct amount of any of the better additives right away, you're probably in decent shape.

As for the OP's original question, I'd suggest that if your vehicle was designed and built with ethanol use in mind, you're probably in pretty good shape. For anything that was not designed and built for it, you will very likely have issues.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
They already have stopped subsidizing. A year ago.
BULL SH!T

"The package allows a credit of up to $100,000 per filling station" to convert pumps to E15-E85 capability.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/04/bu...stry.html?_r=0

States on an individual basis have given Ethanol a break on road taxes collected. This is a SUBSIDY to the ethanol industry at the cost of taxes collected.
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...ive-fuels.aspx

I agree with Too Stroked - "if your vehicle was designed and built with ethanol use in mind, you're probably in pretty good shape. For anything that was not designed and built for it, you will very likely have issues."

The other problem that most average users fail to address is the longer term storage and stability of ethanol. In a car burning though a tank every couple weeks, year round, not an issue. With a boat or other infrequent use motors, problems can be mitigitated with proper treatment but is up to the individual.
Honestly, user ignorance exists with pure gas as well, just with less consequences. Fuel ages! This is evidenced in hard starting and poor running, especially in older motors.
If the tank is not being fully burned within a month, it should be stabilized upon fill up.

3 years ago, with my 91' 365 hp Indmar carbed 454 (89 octane spec); I noticed a big improvement in both starting and exhaust smell when I switched from pump 89 ethanol blended to NO Ethanol and added a fuel stabilizer/cleaner with every fill.
My small engine equipment also starts much easier than before.
I became fuel educated and did both at the same time so I dont know which has a greater impact.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 02-28-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

I could write a book on it. Lawnmower carb eaten up. Motorcycle carb etched and plugged low speed jets, "Matured" gas from boat that sat while engine was worked on became toast.
It etched the fuel tank on my motorcycle (added a inline filter). It desolved the inside of a fuel line. Watch if you have an older boat. I was able to pull it out like a piece of spaghetti. I have pics but I'll have to get them on Photobucket so you can see for yourself. You can't convince me. BTW additives won't save you and they add to the problem
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chargi,t
"BULL SH!T

"The package allows a credit of up to $100,000 per filling station" to convert pumps to E15-E85 capability.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/04/bu...stry.html?_r=0

States on an individual basis have given Ethanol a break on road taxes collected. This is a SUBSIDY to the ethanol industry at the cost of taxes collected.
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...ive-fuels.aspx "

You really need to read the articles you posted. They support my statement.
The first says less than 2% of gas stations can even pump anything over E10. I guess you could call that a subsidy. Although it's more of a subsidy to a small business.
The second one is about all alternative fuels. The states are looking for ways to rewrite the fuel tax laws to cover all alt fuels including electric, hydrogen, soy diesel even used cooking oil.

So be careful when you yell, bs.

Last edited by Payton; 03-12-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: had to credit the quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.