Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Battery ????? >

Battery ?????

Notices

Battery ?????

Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like any quality brand of battery that is taken care of kept on a charger ect, agm or wet, will last a long time. I have some Cabelas AGM batteries group 24 that I bought in 2005 and are still going strong but they have always been on a charger. the boat I have now came with 4 interstates, two 24's house, and two 27's starting, the 27's are still going strong from 2009, the house 24's i just replaced at the beginning of this year, but to be fair I did discharge them way down a lot last summer.

So I have 6 batteries in the boat now, the two interstate 27's one to start each motor. Two new 24 deep cycle wet batteries from autozone for one house bank, and the two 24 Cabelas AGM on the other house bank. I had considered buying two of the Odyssey 2150 AGM and I have no doubt they are superior but at nearly 4 times the cost of the auto zone ones its hard to justify. The way I have the batteries wired and switched there is no way I will ever have all 4 banks dead.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many factors go into battery life, probably the least of which is the actual brand. More important is the actual technology/type and how it's used, stored and charged.

IMO a boat is no place to cut corners on battery cost, a pretty small expense in the grand scheme of things but a huge PIA when they fail.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Registered

Big question is how many people are running them down with a stereo with amps and how often? I have been running optimas for years now and they only last about 2-3 years each. I have 3 in the boat. I have 2 pretty good size amps and run mine down in "coves" Will a interstate or other last longer after being run down till its dead and recharged? I can see some people's battery lasting 8-10 years when its used to start and maybe listen to the stock stereo for an hour at a cove. Can't say im a Optima fan, im thinking of switcing back over.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sears agm 4 year warranty and 100mt pro rated 219.00
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by whoya
Big question is how many people are running them down with a stereo with amps and how often? I have been running optimas for years now and they only last about 2-3 years each. I have 3 in the boat. I have 2 pretty good size amps and run mine down in "coves" Will a interstate or other last longer after being run down till its dead and recharged? I can see some people's battery lasting 8-10 years when its used to start and maybe listen to the stock stereo for an hour at a cove. Can't say im a Optima fan, im thinking of switcing back over.
3-6 times a month I do but I've never been able to run the Kinetiks anywhere close to dead.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

So based on your responses GEORGE MAZ, you won't be expounding on your theory of how batteries can fry themselves during charging? If the “many forums and countless members” are sharing the same misinformation you are, then the definitely can be wrong. I read hundreds of forums and I can't say I agree with any of the people who suggest batteries can't be placed on concrete or should be dropped from any height to help improve performance, yet I still see both comments on a regular basis.

What exactly are you referring to as “sulfation problems?” When any lead-acid battery from any manufacturer is discharged below 12.4 volts and left sitting in that state, sulfation begins to form. We spend a tremendous amount of resources to make both our retailers and customers aware of the same information both pstorti and NightHawk posted- proper voltage maintenance is the key to long battery life, regardless of brand. Some other manufacturers simply add an exclusion to their warranty for deeply-discharged or over-discharged batteries. If that has been a problem for anyone, they should check the warranty terms and conditions of any battery they are considering, before making a purchase.

whoya, when you deeply-discharge your batteries, do you ever measure the voltage after you come off the water and what type of battery charger and settings are you using during non-use?

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Registered

Jim, I took some time to watch your video, actually I watched the entire series. The videos are well done, informative, and easy to understand...my compliments.

I'm going to give your instructions a try to hopefully revive my old Optima red top. I know it has some life in it, because I use it to check my test light and other stuff on my workbench...about all its been good for since I pulled it out of my daily driver. My other Optima batteries have been traded in as cores long ago. My comments about the brand are rooted in personal experience...at one time, all my vehicles were eagerly fitted with Optima batteries.

Would you be interested in having my Optima battery warranteed if I am unsuccessful in recharging it?

I would be willing to bring it to one of your recommended battery experts for reconditioning if necessary. My zip code is 11501.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

Optimajim
Have not checked in a while but I think my amps start cutting off/out at around 10-11 volts then I switch batteries. When I leave the cove I start with a good battery then flip my switch over to have the Alternator start charging a discharged one. At home I have a onboard Promariner(Pro Sport) 3 bank charger. My Promariner has 3 different charging choices. I have the gray cap in that (per manual) for gel cell 14.1vdc Absorption, 13.8v float should I change charging cap to red: AGM 14.7 absorption, 13.6v float? In case you want to know there red cap for lead acid batteries is 14.6vdc absorption, 13.4 float
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GEORGE MAZ
Jim, I took some time to watch your video, actually I watched the entire series. The videos are well done, informative, and easy to understand...my compliments.

I'm going to give your instructions a try to hopefully revive my old Optima red top. I know it has some life in it, because I use it to check my test light and other stuff on my workbench...about all its been good for since I pulled it out of my daily driver. My other Optima batteries have been traded in as cores long ago. My comments about the brand are rooted in personal experience...at one time, all my vehicles were eagerly fitted with Optima batteries.

Would you be interested in having my Optima battery warranteed if I am unsuccessful in recharging it?

I would be willing to bring it to one of your recommended battery experts for reconditioning if necessary. My zip code is 11501.
Where are the videos? Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

YouTube has the videos regarding Optima battery charging, care, selection, etc.
Jim and another guy put together an information series, I think I watched about ten videos. Although I was always under the assumption not to mix unmatched batteries when charging, I'm going to follow his direction and hopefully bring this battery back to life.

I've always maintained my batteries with Deltran tenders for long term storage, and put the tender on once in a while to top off the cells in my vehicle. I now realize why I was replacing my alternators (three total in 2 vehicles). I just don't understand why I had such crappy luck with the Optima's. I haven't had to do any electrical work, nor alternator replacement since switching to DieHard Platinums...and I maintain them the same way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.