Am I screwed? >

Am I screwed?

Notices

Am I screwed?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I was told a gen5 or 6 502 is a Siamese bore and sleeving one hole will cause distortion issues with cylinders on each side.
\

That indeed is the case, just sleeve all four on that bank, back to reassemble. we have done this many times back in the early years when case flow was low, works out great (if done correctly)

Good luck with which ever way you decide to go!!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Respectable answer, question is.. What's the correct fix? New blocks, new pistons, sleeving etc?
well... thats a good question and without seeing the parts and the sleeves available etc i don't have an answer. i think if it were me, i would do two things... first i would talk directly to someone that has sleeved these exact blocks ( not me ) using which sleeves and inquire as to success rate. the other thing i would do is look for a usable known good stock block or core. thats a pretty old system and there should be some hi hour ones around pretty cheap that could be rebuilt reasonably... or maybe give ATK a call and see if they have a shortblock to sell you .... not trying say one is better than the other but those are the options i would explore in that order. personally i would be nervous sleeving adjacent cylinders in a siamese block like that... but i never had occassion to try either.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

You might call one of the piston companies and see what your options are, CP, Diamond, JE, Ross, Wiseco.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleeve it. I have a gen 6 502 block/motor with a sleeve in it for 6 years now and no issues.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont know of any good engine builders that will sleeve only 1 hole on a 502 .when the sleeve is pressed in it tends to distort the cylinders next to it .why not have a set of pistons made ??last set i had made were about 800 and were 502 .030 .getting them made .040 wouldent be an issue
Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
i dont know of any good engine builders that will sleeve only 1 hole on a 502 .when the sleeve is pressed in it tends to distort the cylinders next to it .why not have a set of pistons made ??last set i had made were about 800 and were 502 .030 .getting them made .040 wouldent be an issue
I think that's the way I'm heading. Tossing the idea around of Diamonds. Hoping it cleans up @ the 4.540 mark. The second engine deff will (two small nicks where water sat). Maybe I'll run the 4.530 JE's with file fits in that engine and run it as is and bore the bad one to 4.540 and get some customs made up.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
4.540 is .070 over. Std bore is 4.470, I forgot for a min and was thinking the same .040 is no big deal. Has anyone sonic tested a few blocks to see how far you can go?