Notices

575 rebuild

Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Stripped Littlefield 871 with triangulated discharge, sitting on a whipple low pro cooler.
Attached Thumbnails 575 rebuild-imag0556.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
PM Ryan9154 or call Tyler Crocket and Jim Valeko. Those 2 freshened Ryans 575's and I believe they dynoed at 742 hp. Pretty impressive. Engines ran very good. They did NOT even add a cooler or increase the boost, which would help make even more power if you wanted! They currently are doing a full rebuild on Ryans engines now shooting for 1000hp, 540's, new blowers, chillers, etc.

Good luck on your project! Glad you love your ARNESON DRIVES also!
I already have the Whipple low rise coolers. Whatever I do I want to run on 89 octane.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
New pistons, pins, and rings, all bearings, rod bolts, complete head rebuild, block honed 0005, labor for R & R, new bearings in blower and new belt, rebuild fuel and oil pump - $15K-$20K

Merc charges $24K not including R & R for their 1075's. doesn't include bearings either.
I have received one estimate which included all of what you mentioned and the price which was $24,000.00. He did mention he was on the high side and he just wanted to be safe. Once he got the engines and tore them down, it could be less.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
I think there are too many variables to throw a general cost number out.

I just opened that exact worm can. As 4bus mentioned the cams are going to be a big deal. You can go with replicated flat tappet cams (which leave a lot to be desired and would be cheaper). A more expensive way to go is with someones proven package (Dean Gellner in Ohio, Tyler Crocket in MI for example) that has a cams/ecm mapping already selected. If you replace the heads that could throw a curve ball as far as the packaged mapping from them. Your pistons may be able to be reused but you can bump up the compression if you are looking for more power without spinning the little huffers any faster. How many hours on on your motors? You may not need to do anything yet...although stock head gaskets are terrible on the 575.

Mine should already be tore down and will be inspected soon.
You're right a lot of variables. I'm just looking for a general cost starting point. I'm assuming major parts would be fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered

A few years back, when I installed the coolers, we replaced the head gaskets. Last year, I lost a blower and had it rebuilt by the Blower Shop. I was going to send them both out, but I knew after this year, at over 300 hours, I would have the engines rebuilt and possible go with 871 blowers.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered

An 871 would definitely be a good move. If your pistons are good you could save that money and put it towards 871s also adding what you can get for your stock blowers. I think you would come out well. Dyers has a 871 in a kit form for the 575 that is reasonably priced. If you have to replace your pistons you can bump up your CR and go back to stock pulleys on the little blowers. One obstacle I see is your whipple coolers...they would need to be redrilled for an 871. Since you have the Holley/B&M blower I think the B&M 420 uses the same pattern as the 250. If you could find a pair of those you may be able to utilize your whipple coolers in their current form. Just throwing some things out there to think about.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would look at putting new cylinder heads on. Aluminum because of supercharged engine, Dart or similar.

Wannabe
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjm5125
I have received one estimate which included all of what you mentioned and the price which was $24,000.00. He did mention he was on the high side and he just wanted to be safe. Once he got the engines and tore them down, it could be less.
Well, I am really doing some trick updating of the EFI, had lots of minor stuff fixed, am over $20K for each motor. But, they will literally be brand new 571 CI 900 HP with warrantee. 38 ft cat that will do 145+
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
Well, I am really doing some trick updating of the EFI, had lots of minor stuff fixed, am over $20K for each motor. But, they will literally be brand new 571 CI 900 HP with warrantee. 38 ft cat that will do 145+
What are you using for blowers? I would think with 900hp you would have to be going with a bigger roots style blower. Also, what are doing with the EFI?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
What are you using for blowers? I would think with 900hp you would have to be going with a bigger roots style blower. Also, what are doing with the EFI?
Motors had 900 each before rebuild.

Not sure what size blower shop blowers I have, a step down from 1471... The EFI was a fixed map setup, now we added O2 bungs and many safety features(low oil pressure shuts off, too hot, etc), set up for high elevation with a switch to flick to go to sea level and put original blower pulleys back on - it will have 900 HP EA at sea level and 900 HP at 6250 ft elevation. Will have two tunes in EFI with switch on each box.

What's important is that you have a very experienced marine mechanic and marine machine shop.

Also, they always find something else that needs to be fixed that costs more! I found out that both my transmissions needed to be rebuilt. Hubar took 7 weeks when they promised 3-4 wks, causing me to cancel my fully paid, non refundable, desert storm vacation... Use Bam!

Last edited by TahoeRick; 04-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.