Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What to do with old gas? >

What to do with old gas?

Like Tree0Likes

What to do with old gas?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Registered

My Boat: cruiser atm

If it is that big an issue, call up your friends, grab some 55 gal drums or whatever and start siphoning that old gas out and start fresh. As said b4 you can burn the stuff in cars etc. Head over to the auto parts store, get 15' of 1/2 hose and hook it up to your tank pickup and get sucking
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Registered

call your local automotive junkyard / you pull it, they will take it no charge.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

My Boat: Fever

or put a add on craiglist free gas, somebody will come get it and it will be gone.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: Boatless

Here's how I have done it in the past.
I have on old filter head with a racor filter with plastic bowl and drain.
Either get a bunch of 5 gallon cans or a 55 gallon drum.
Disconnect your line to carb or EFi and pump the fuel thru the racor. I do 25 galllons at a time. Let the filter set for five minutes and drain water out.
One you get the tank as close to empty as possible. Pull the sending unit and suck the botttom of the tank dry as possible.
Add a couple bottles of HEET and Booster to it drained fuel them pump it back the the racor into the boat andd you should be good to go.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered

I have an aeromotive fuel pump hooked to a fuel/water seperator, pump the fuel into 55 gal barrels, add Marine Stabil (it is way cheaper than the red, look at how many gals marine treats vs red). I have pumped over 200 gal into my wifes lease Kia, no issues at all. I put in 10 gal and fill the rest with premium. The gas I used is almost brown and smells like varnish. Dont give gas away. It will burn, like someone said "in mowers, etc".
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Registered

i have problems with ethanol gas since katrina, seems fuel distributors were mixing it to offset production. i jack the tongue up on trailer, hook a holley fuel pump into line comming from tank. if fuel has alot of trash, i'll put filter in line and recirc into fill cap to mix up gunk, then pump into containers. allow to settle and pump from top, stabilizer for storage after siphoning off is good for long term storage. don't mix more alcohol with the other alcohol(heet, seafoam) in you gas, their cousins and like to hang out together, not in your gasoline. cars/trucks can burn fine unless you tow.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1967 34 Hatteras summer house. 2000 Crownline 248ccr her boat. 79 Pantera 24 Sport.

first thing you do is siphon off the bottom layer into clear containers until you stop getting water. i used at least 5 year old gas in my old accord. (of course this gas came from a plastic boat tank-might make a diff).
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1990 Fountain Fever 29

From what I have gathered over the last couple of weeks is that the ethanol attracts and bonds with the water. The water/ethanol mix falls to the bottom of the tank.

The ethanol is used to increase the octane. Once the ethanol is no longer in solution, the octane level drops waay off. After the water/ethanol is removed, the remaining gas would need to be mixed with new prem gas just to burn it in my truck (which I use to pull boat).. My other vehicles are not canidates for questionable fuel. Lawn mower, weed wacker, leaf blower maybe, but 130 gallons worth?? It would be varnish before I even used a significant portion.

One possible option would be to mix the low octane fuel with race gas and bring the octane level back up, but without knowing the actual octane level of the "bad" gas, it would be hard to determine how much race gas you would need.

Another problem is storage. I'm not real kean on having 55 gal drums full of gas sitting around. From what I understand fuel storage requires dual containment and insurance company probably wouldn't be real happy abt it either.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boat: Racing

zz28. The ethanol does not "attract" water but it will absorb water under certain conditions. Piston aircraft use 100LL (no ethanol) and before every flight it is required to purge the tanks to remove water.

Many factors affect absorption rate, including exposure to condensate or high humidity, and circulation or agitation of the fuel. A boat on a trailer for 6th months has much less sloshing than a boat int he water.

It is unlikely that you have absorbed enough water as a result of the ethanol to reduce octane significantly. And by the way water has VERY high octane. If you have reason to believe that you have water int he tank circulate it out as others have posted here and go run it. Stay away from high load situations if you are still not comfortable and 130 gallons can be gone in a weekend.

I have gasoline samples 3 + years old, 1 gallon containers with spouts open to the weather ( not direct rain) and octane ratings have not dropped more than 1/4 point and ethanol content has dropped from 8% to 7%. The test gas smells like chhittt, is yellow and will probably not run in a model A, but the octane is still good. (octane is measured using electronic meter)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Yup, burn it up in your mower, weed whacker, tiller etc. Then tell your neighbors/buddies to bring their cans over and top off too. Each time you're due to top off your vehicle tanks, toss five gallons in the tank. They'll all be fine so long as there is no other kind of junk in there to clog up jets or injectors.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser