Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What to do with old gas? >

What to do with old gas?

Notices

What to do with old gas?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Bit the bullet and got some 55 gal drums and started pumping the fuel out from the filter inlet hose.. Sampled the first 2 quarts and didn't see any water or signs of phase separation. Pulled the filters and dumped the fuel into a clear container,, nothing but normal looking gas..

Filled up tank with new premium and hit the lake. After abt an hour, checked fuel press and it was low again (3.5 psi on port side).. Idled back to dock replaced filters again and swapped fuel press gauges, no change.

Got home and pulled the fuel pumps apart. Found some teflon tape wedged under one of the pump inlet poppet valves.. Removed the piece of tape and fuel press is back to 9.5 psi. On the trailer at least. Next lake test will determine if issue is completely resolved.

Everyone in my family has a full tank of fuel now :-)

BTW, while troubleshooting my bad fuel gauge, I pulled the sender from the tank. Inside of the tank looks like new.

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-08-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4bus, I have a newly acquired 38fountain sc. It has 496s in about 10 years old with 100hrs. About 200 gallons of old gas not sure how old. I adde 50 in each tank before checking total. One engine runs fine, the other real rough. Starts idles and when I advance throttle initially it will run up to 2000 then drops off on its own. Fuel pressure starts at 42 psi hen drops to about 30psi and runs crappy. Inline filters cleaned out separators drained twice. Any ideas as to what next to check? Thanks Ed
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to high jack, but ths thread has me thinking about the fuel in my boat. It's been sitting since last summer with about a 1/4 tank of fuel, I know I should have topped it off but didn't. I did add fuel stabilizer, wondering if I should add fresh or dump it ?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm assuming it is ethanol laced fuel.
If it has phase separated, adding fresh won't help.
I would pump it into 5 gallon cans and use it for the lawn equip.
You could buy a LOT of fuel for what it would take to re-build that eng.

IMHO, with ethanol fuel, your better off draining it at the end of the season.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am facing the same issue with about 60~70 gallons in my Formula. It seems to run ok but the gas looks like and smells like $hit. I have added Stabil from time to time but think I'm going to pump it out. Any issue using plastic drums? Also...might be a good idea to keep a few "Good" Fire Extinguishers on hand!!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Last year at the end of the season, for my last trip out, i was almost empty on fuel in the boat .I threw in about 50 gallons of ethanol free race gas. Went out for a last day run, pretty much race gas running thru everything, tanks, filters, lines, carbs, etc. This spring, i put in fresh pump gas, and no issues. Still smelled like race fuel when i fired it up and ran it. I'd rather not have ethanol in the fuel systems for the winter, rather than have it and try to treat it with chemicals.