Best top mount starter >

Best top mount starter

Notices

Best top mount starter

Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Best top mount starter

whats everyone using?? i have a pr of 750's that arent very friendly on starters. who makes the strongest TOP MOUNT starters??
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Tilton, Period.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What starters have you been using? And whats been going bad with them? Ive been using the big old style starters with no issues for many years. Thought about getting the new style mini hi torque ones but someone told me they are prone to breaking because the pinion drive has no support.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using the arco 30459 which is the gear reduction unit with great results and have had no failures since I got these. I did try one from DB electrical and it died from a twisted shaft, but that I attribute to the Made In China label on it.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What starters have you been using? And whats been going bad with them? Ive been using the big old style starters with no issues for many years. Thought about getting the new style mini hi torque ones but someone told me they are prone to breaking because the pinion drive has no support.
just bought the boat so not sure what exactly they are on there now. they are a gear reduction starter. i bent the shaft so the gear is missing the flywheel. i threw a old school starter on it quick so i could take a ride yesterday. it started the boat but didnt spin it over like i would have liked. the batteries were new last fall but not sure if one is weak which is giving me my gremilns. a friend of mine has been building starters and alternators for 30+ years and i dropped it off with him last night. should have an answer today on if its fixable or not. gonna warranty my batteries this week and give it another shot