Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
....It's for certain now......meltdown !! >

....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Notices

....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Old 08-02-2002, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, here we go!!
The fuel regulator did drop pressure from 45# to 35# only on the failed engine. It had done this before & I adjusted it back to 45# base. On the engine failure day, it dropped again to 35# base pressure. Arizona Speed had told me that was OK, as long as I did not go into boost (which I never did). I recieved information from Procharge that the original BLUE regulators on the Merc fuel rail were known to have problems with maintaining pressure. They sent the new rtegulators to me AFTER the engine failed. If these were known to fail, why did Arizona Speed install them rather than the external RED regulators that Procharger was providing at NO CHARGE for all EFI installs and retrofits.?????? It makes one wonder if the motivation of Az Speed is to SELL PRODUCT rather than provide a quality product. My 2nd engine was also worked on ("freshened") and I found the engine mounting bolts ( 2) had not even been tightened down.
What I see here is paying for an expert to do the work & getting a $7.50 per hour helper doing the work....
Old 08-03-2002, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blown Formula,

I had the same thing happen to me. only it was the # 4 &#2 cylinders melted. see post
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...hlight=blow+by

Here's the results clogged injectors with epoxy from the Aeromotive 1000 fuel pump. The pump's motor delaminated sending tiny particals of epoxy through the fuel line. Okay all of you are probably asking the inline fuel filter should have caught and blocked the epoxy from entering the fuel line.
Well back in april of 2001 I took my boat over to AZ speed & Marine to install a whipple SC. to make a long story short on my bill listed all the items and labor including the aeromotive fuel pump and aeromotive inline filter. Guess what the inline filter was never installed. Because of a 71.00 mistake a brand new rebulit engine including pulling the motor and for AZ speed remap of 530.00 8300.00 up in smoke. I just recently got back in the water costing me another 4900.00 to rebuild the engine. I sent the bill to az speed let's see if Jim steps up to the plate and takes care of this.

jdelo
Old 08-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Registered

jdelo,....Please let us know what ARIZONA SPEED does on your motor, I bet they say "sorry, but it's supercharged and we don't warranty those" ? GO FIGURE, they do the mapping in house & the rebuild.....how could anyone else BE responsible. The ECU would have recorded what went on, would it not? Good Luck on your claim....I'm next in line!!
My block is now done,,,,new sleeve, piston, all new rings, new hone job, all new bearings, seals & gaskets,,,,,, $554.00 just for machine work & parts. Now comes the labor cost.......?????
We will see soon!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

Blown Formula,

AZ speed and marine in my case is clearly negligent. By not installing the inline fuel filter. I have pictures that were taken after the Whipple install. It clearly shows the fuel pump but no filter. I agree with you when you say you pay top dollar for an expert but you get the quality of of a 7.50 worker.

JDELO
Old 08-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Registered

jdelo - Are you saying the filter should be after the fuel pump instead of before it? ASM did not install any filter at all? I have always put filter before pump not after it. Of course I do not mess with EFI systems.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Registered

Simrek is quality all the way....had them on two (3 showers) boats. I would not use any other. Paul has an unbeatable warranty policy......call to find out!! Only the best.

How did this get here ?????

Last edited by blown formula; 08-05-2002 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

TURBOJACK,

aeromotive's EFI configuration calls for a filter before the fuel enters the pump and after it leaves the pump.

I have the standard merc water/fuel seperator filter B/4 the pump and az speed charged me but did not install the filter to protect components ie (fuel injectors) after the pump. the fuel pump broke down sending tiny pieces of epoxy through the fuel rail, lodging and clogging up the injectors causing the lean condition frying the #4 and # 2 piston
Old 08-05-2002, 10:03 PM
Registered

Ah-Ha!!! Procharger does NOT specify a second filter (after the pump) in EFI applications. HuMMmmmmm, I wonder ???????
Old 08-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Registered

Blown Formula,

Did az speed and marine install a aeromotive fuel pump?

If so, you may have had the same thing happen to you.

Check your injectors. the epoxy is rust in color and looks like pieces of plastic.

here's the link to aeromotive products

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com

jdelo
Old 08-06-2002, 11:56 AM
Registered

Yes, Aeromotive pump was used with a Merc filter on the inlet side of the pump. No secondary filter. I see on Aeromotives web site they recommend a larger capacity filter on the inlet side with AN-10/12 fittings !!! WOW!!

Quick Reply: ....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.