Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
....It's for certain now......meltdown !! >

....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Notices

....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Old 08-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is turning into a really interesting thread on fuel systems & other engine/system faults.
I spoke to my mechanic last night & this morning. He said that #6 was also showing some signs of heat, but not as bad as #5 was. On reassembly, the stock Merc exhaust manifolds were disassembled. I cannot believe this but the risers are corroded to the point of being almost unusable & the manifold was cracked. The elbows were new.
Now remember, AZ Speed rebuilt this motor 10 hours ago....... How could this happen in a boat with a total of 140 hours & used only in Arizona???????
Bottom line, AZ Speed could not have inspected &/or replaced the exhaust/riser gaskets on rebuild or they would have found this and replaced them. That is bad workmanship & no quality control. The port manifold was also leaking some water into the engine! I get more angry every day at AZ SPEED!!! I am now afraid of what may happen to my other engine as they reworked the top end on it!!! I already had to replace it's exhaust gaskets due to them not tightening the exhaust bolts (on either engine it turns out). This winter may be spent doing fix up from AZ Speed screw-ups......how are they staying in business????
Old 08-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Registered

My mechanic just called. He pulled all the injector screens out for inspection. He found all kinds of "little junk" in the screens.....This can only be epoxy from the pump....so guess what I have to do now !!! Man, those pumps are four feet down in the bilge !!! How Am I ever going to get them out????
At least we have a reason now for the lean condition.....
epoxy from the Aeromotive pump. Now I gotta check the other engine!
Old 08-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, but thanks

Sorry to here of your problems interesting reading, I have a similar setup Fuel gets sucked through the merc filter then pumped to the fuel manifold. I have the Aermotive 1000 pumps too. Yesterday after reading this thread I ordered from Jegs NDA two 10 micron filters and holders for after the pump. I am running 502 Mags x whipples and so far everything have been perfectt, but I can see if this pump lets loose I would be in the same bad prediciment as you. I will have to go through the fuel system to make sure the pumps did not de-laminate and through crud in the lines/screens. I will either buy two new ones or get these re-built.

Thanks for the info and sorry about the mess. ASM seems to have some liability here I would pop them for not putting in the after filters. on as specified. Seems a open/shut case for me. Probibly would not even go to court.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Registered

UPDATE:

Here it is, 7 days after I sent the bill to ASM for the rebuild of my motor. NO CALL NO RESPONSE NO MONEY time to send a demand letter.

jdelo
Old 08-08-2002, 06:15 PM
Registered

I wouldl give the owner a call & talk to him or her. Be polite. If you have to leave message go do it but keep calling & leaving messages. I think you will get further that way. At least to start with.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default FYI

I talked to Brett @ Aeromotive today, He says as long as the pumps are in OK condition they would put a new motor in it for $90.00. He did say the Oxigenated fuel / Alcohol was the problem. Especially in marine enviroments as the "Owners of the fueling stations" put extra alcohol in to remove the water.

Seems to me a cop out and they should at least replace/repair the pumps for free. Let alone what it has done to other engines out there. He also stated pumps manufactured after May are OK too.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Registered

....This pretty much sums it up!!!
I took off from work last Thursday & Friday to finish the install of the engine & put the nosecone back on the outdrive. I got everything done on the drive (including a speedo pickup in drive- NOT provided by original builder of the drive) & painted.....finally got everything done late friday night/Sat a.m. & ready to start.......
I thought !!! Turned the Aeromotive pump on to check fuel flow thru the new "after" filters & set fuel pressure thru the new regulators........and "zero" pressure!! Removed the pump to test it....primed it from a 5 gallon can & motor runs but no fuel out!! Now I am upset!!! Called Aeromotive again, and they say "If your looking for someone to blame....It's not us, we are not responsible because the fuel manufacturers put alcohol in the fuel & desolved the epoxy...... I tell them, fuel has had alcohol in it for many years now..... & these are RACE pumps to supply up to 1300hp!!! Aren't they more likely to run methanol??????? Did not Aeromotive NOT anticipate that FUELS would be used in high powered drag strip vehicles????? Did they not test with methanol???? The only remedy is a $189.00 rebuild (complete new guts) plus shipping........3-5 day turn around on the pump.....that makes two more weeks down!!! I cannot buy another Aeromotive pump now, because they did NOT RECALL pumps built before May 2002!!! So any pump you buy will end up with the same problem.......now That sucks, big time. !!!! So now I am looking at being "down" for 5 weeks and the root cause was this stupid, badly engineered pump!!!

Last edited by blown formula; 08-12-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:42 AM
Registered

I agree with your compaint. Have you looked at Weldon fuel pumps? As was stated in earlier post.

When you called Aeromotive did they tell you how to check build date? I am assuming you could call supplies & have them verify the date built on ones they have.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Registered

Turbo.... There is no build date or serial # on the pump....no markings at all. There may be manuf date info on the packaging, but I doubt it.......pretty sorry control for a company of their reputation...... (that may go south also!!)
I left a message at 11:50 cdt today for them to call me.... (I will try to expedite repair)...let's see how long it takes to call me !!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey Blown,
that sucks!!!
Quick question; is it $90 or $189 for the new pump motor?

Quick Reply: ....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.