Snap on timing gun on 502 mag??

Notices

Snap on timing gun on 502 mag??

Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I have a high dollar digital snap on when I put it on an ignition with any kind of spark it jumps all over turns off ect. Works great on stock stuff but that's about it. What a piece of junk.
Mine goes crazy too, I bought a MSD self contained (battery powered) timing light and it works great after seeing how good Tyler Crocketts worked when we were on his dyno one time. It also works on snowmobiles and the like even without a 12 v charging system, real convenient too as you don't have to pizz around with getting power. the only thing is they seem to be VERY fragile, bang it around at all and they die. I think the cheap proform is the same at half the price too, Smitty
Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a cheap actron, which is the old sunpro. I dont need a timing lighf that cooks me dinner , just need it to give a accurate reading
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Older Mt241, works great on that stuff.....Must be the newer technology that isnt jiving with MSD these days. Although MSD is aware of it
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a digital snapon timing light will fry with a high out put msd coil,,fry faster with a digital box..i smoked 3 of mine back in the day..now i use a stand alone single wire msd light that you stick d battery's in..you dont need a power sourse which makes it way easy to set the timing.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's good info to know before I smoke my high dollar matco digital light being all of my boat engines now have msd ignitions. Randy
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

I won't allow any kind of dial/digital in my shop. They are not 100% accurate, 2 degrees can make the differance between life & death for the engine..

A full advance mark on the balancer is the only way to go if you are serious about this stuff. If just so happens that on an 8" balancer 36 degrees is 2.5 inches (actualy 2.513) from the tdc mark. Thats easy to measure with a small machinists scale. If you do insist on an adjustable light at least you can verify it. The battery powered lights are my favorite!

Last edited by Mbam; 06-29-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Registered

thanks guys for the good info
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I borrowed a buddy's new digital snap-on light. Well as I was 575Sci with UNILITE distributor and accel wires and a msd 7al box. The new timing light was so powerful I could feel the heat coming out of the light. Then I needed to advance the timing, as I was holding the light between my legs, I could feel a burning sensation. Looked down as the timing light started to smoke....IMMEDIATELY it burst into flames, I'm currently posting while getting the dead skin scraped from my balls, I should have listened to you guys!