Grease points on Bravo? >

Grease points on Bravo?

Notices

Grease points on Bravo?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Grease points on Bravo?

My Alpha has zerk grease fittings for the swivel pin, hinge pins and lower bushing but my Bravo doesn't. Why did they get rid of these grease points? Does anyone use any spray lube on these points or just let them wear?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
My Alpha has zerk grease fittings for the swivel pin, hinge pins and lower bushing but my Bravo doesn't. Why did they get rid of these grease points? Does anyone use any spray lube on these points or just let them wear?
Well, the pessimistic side of me says that Merc did this to keep us buying new transom assemblies from them. A buddy of mine actually drilled out his lower ring with a flat tipped bit and added a zerk fitting. I might do the same to mine. I agree that it is asinine that they eliminated the ability to lube such a critical joint on the transom assembly.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, glad I'm not the only one. I have just rebuilt the transom assemblies and want to try to keep them from wearing out. I may add fittings or spray with some sort of lube occasionally
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the HP transom assy, the bushings are made of a material like fiberglass. It seems that it would attract dirt and wear out quicker if greased, as there are no seals.