Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store? >

sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store?

Notices

sea water pump V belt replacement at Auto Parts store?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Just an FYI although I have run that belt on my seawater/fuel pumps it usually doesn't last as long, and tends to slip a lot more than the Merc one. That and Merc made it an oddball size so the ones from the parts store are either a touch long or short. Not saying they can't be run, did it for a while but since I switched back to Merc have had better luck.
+1 on the odd size... More so on the seawater pump belt than any other on the motor
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

57-69143Q is the quicksilver part for the sea pump belt. I just looked at my spares in the boat and that is the only one that is not ribbed.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Thank you for the part # on the genuine belt. I made it thru the weekend with the Auto Parts Store 15400, but I think I'd prefer to have the genuine non toothed belt on there and I can always keep the 15400 as a spare. I appreciate all the help in this thread. Had a good weekend on the water until the B-3 drive got stuck in reverse. I've never had this(stuck in gear) happen before and this is my first "on water" breakdown in about 10 years, so I guess I'm doing okay. Probably have to take it in to have it looked at because I suspect it's the cable going into the drive or something internal in the drive itself and I've never removed a drive. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

These 15400 numbers are the same #'s Sierra uses. IMO they are tad cheap in quality. I want to see if I can match these up with OEM Gates belts at the Auto store. I have this same app in the shop as we speak with a broken sea water pump belt so I am going to replace all 3 - of course I can always buy the OEM Merc at dealer cost. I have bought Gates at the Auto store many times for Indmar and PCM motor apps. They have worked out very well for those apps plus OEM part #'s crossed to gates for a perfect match.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well after reading all the good comments and advice, I too went out and bought a factory belt. I figure a $29.00 dollar belt isn't worth my 11K motor. I want to thank everyone, that's why I love OSO.
THANKS JACK
Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
These 15400 numbers are the same #'s Sierra uses. IMO they are tad cheap in quality. I want to see if I can match these up with OEM Gates belts at the Auto store. I have this same app in the shop as we speak with a broken sea water pump belt so I am going to replace all 3 - of course I can always buy the OEM Merc at dealer cost. I have bought Gates at the Auto store many times for Indmar and PCM motor apps. They have worked out very well for those apps plus OEM part #'s crossed to gates for a perfect match.
My Merc parts guy didn't have an OEM sea water pump belt (57-96834Q) in stock but he cross referenced it to Gates # 11A-1015. The Gates is toothed so I will finish the season with it and then see how it looks. In the meantime I'll order the OEM belt.