Opinions wanted - best switchable mufflers >

Opinions wanted - best switchable mufflers

Notices

Opinions wanted - best switchable mufflers

Old 08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Opinions wanted - best switchable mufflers

I am thinking I would like to upgrade to switchable mufflers! I am currently running the CMI sound elimination mufflers that are spring loaded and open and close automatically based on RPM/back pressure. They work awesome but I would like a little more control over when the exhaust is open (sometimes I like it loud at an idle! )

My pipes are 4.5" so what are the opinions, who makes the best switchable muffler? It needs to be clamp on and when closed needs to be legal!

Lets hear it!

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Well...pick your poison. There are air actuated and solenoid actuated. The air ones eventually leak and the electrics solenoids burn out. I had a nice pair of Eddie marine electrics and teague makes them also...they are almost identical.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
Well...pick your poison. There are air actuated and solenoid actuated. The air ones eventually leak and the electrics solenoids burn out. I had a nice pair of Eddie marine electrics and teague makes them also...they are almost identical.
So those are the down sides of the mechanics but what about functionality and looks of the mufflers itself. I am looking for something that looks good, allows me to be legal when I have to be and restriction free when I want to be!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend of mine has the Teagues and they work well and look nice. They are not clamp ons, however - install inside the transom. He has had to make some repairs to them over the years - replaced a solenoid and I think had to install a new pivot shaft when the original broke.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Hardin air actuated version. Fourth season now with no issues (not even air leaks). These are the "switchable tips" version where the muffler can is mounted inside the transom and all you see on the outside is what looks like a standard tip. I'm not sure what type of dB noise suppression they offer, but it is noticeable when I hit the switch. I run Stelling Headers with wet tails so the sound is somewhat surpressed to begin with. There was a used set of Teague 4.5" being offered here on OSO not to long ago. I think the Teague version uses solenoids.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If it needs to be a clamp on the electrics I mentioned will not work. You would have to remove your tips, enlarge the holes. They look good when they are done though...look like 5" tips.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
If it needs to be a clamp on the electrics I mentioned will not work. You would have to remove your tips, enlarge the holes. They look good when they are done though...look like 5" tips.
No tips here! I have to do clamp on because I have dry exhaust all the way from the manifolds and then dump a little bit of water in at the end!