Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   22 ft 88 avanti can it handle a 1000 hp? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/303372-22-ft-88-avanti-can-handle-1000-hp.html)

phragle 09-26-2013 07:07 AM

Wonder what the budget is?? The only advice I can give you is to take a vacation to florida. Go to pantera, buy them lunch and start asking questions. I imagine they would know more about making a 24/7 varariant handle at speed better than pretty much anybody else as they have built and set up more than anyone. Then take Tres' course twice so you have at least a slim chance at survival.

Unlimited jd 09-26-2013 07:48 AM

If you do it, I wanna drive ;) just be careful and feel it out. You may end up detuning it but if the budget isn't an issue try it CAREFULLY

articfriends 09-26-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ezstriper (Post 4002328)
Take it from the crazyest guy on here, Smitty...don't take this a bad way Smitty, but anybody runs that 272 the way you do..my hats off to you !!!! only one close I know of is the guy who ran 114 @ our radar run a few years back in a 251 checkmate, but back to your question...NFW...

I wouldn't say I am the craziest guy on here but I can tell you about 1 experience I had at speed that no one would want to happen to them, at one point I was convinced a -2 shorty would have some kinda benefit for my boat, after installing it and running it up higher and higher to see what it was going to do at speed I was only getting 96 mph from that set up vs 99 it had ran the previous day, on a susbsequent run trying to trim it just a little higher (like I do with my stock length lower) I lost bite at 96 mph, boat bow steered VIOLENTLY and hooked and went into a partial spin and barrel roll, I managed to save it and come back but at one point I was in the air with legs above the windshield hanging into the steering wheel. partially tore a rotator cuff and pulled muscles in my arms and also before it came to controllable speed the ds of boat was almost sideways in water and I remember my face being a couple feet from the water, cant believe it didn't break the gimbal ant that I didn't go for a swim and get ran over, the shorty got taken off and I sold it soon after. My point of this is IF you built a 130 mph 22 ft boat in the course of getting everything set up and test driving it you may very well get killed/ejected just trying to dial it in , speed is fun but it needs to be respected, keep this in the back of your mind so we are not reading about your crash in the future , Smitty

SFOcean 09-26-2013 11:20 PM

Don't think it is a good idea. I have an '88 and although it is very well built, nearing 80mph there is just not that much boat in the water any more. Great little dry-running boat in any water conditions (just slow down if need be) but at or over 100??? Dangerous.
Mine has hook in the bottom so yours most likely does too so fix that and maybe make the pad a bit bigger?

this is about 75mph

mcollinstn 09-27-2013 05:55 PM

I've run a 16 1/2" padvee outboard at slightly over 100. That was when I was dumber and had better reflexes than I do today. It was beyond a handfull, and low 90's was the fastest I ever took a passenger in it. I've also had a 17' tunnel vee outboard over 100, and let me tell you that it makes a TON of difference whether the hull is designed for speed or not. The padvee boat was "death riding on a cracker" at any speed over 80 - things happen very quickly. The tunnel vee was relaxed and almost boring in comparison at 100. If your hull does not have a stable pad (such as you'd find on a Velocity or Fountain or bass boat) then forget about it. I'm not familiar with an Avanti so I don't know if it's a true vee or if it has a pad. But if it doesn't have a pad, then bail out on this idea while you can. Geoo's Donzi was a unique combination with lots if setup experimentation and a driver that clearly has above-human "feel and reflexes" than most. Anybody can drive a 30' Skater at 120mph, but only a handfull of gifted humans can drive a small, unstable, spastic boat at those speeds.

With that said, the Donzi in question was a small boat with most things removed for weight savings. If I remember correctly, it didn't even have a transmission to save weight. It was much lighter than your larger boat will be, and I don't know if you would have the ability to move the center of gravity around enough to find the sweet spot.

But I don't like to discourage anybody from going fast. Research the build of that Donzi and pay attention to the things he did to restore stability when he reached different speed milestones.

Good luck.

MC

phragle 09-27-2013 06:41 PM

The Avanti has a small delta pad, but your still going to be balancing a bowling ball on a razor blade. I have 12" lenco's on the back of mine and its really easy to accidently put the boat on its side with more than the slightest tap on the switch. The is a guy on here Thomas Wallin I think that did a bunch of bottom work on a 24 pantera lengthening the strakes etc. and has done a lot of testing. He would probably be a good on to talk too to get ideas on modifying the bottom to be a little more stable. Your also going to need to build a motor that will rev to the moon to get the speed out of rpm's instead of pitch. Huge pitch on that hull riding on the pad is going to try to walk the boat.

88avanti22 09-27-2013 11:26 PM

This is all very very helpful advice see this is why ofo is the best, I think I will call pantera, if I get this to come to life I wanna do it right and as safe as possible (not sure I'm even allowed to use the word safe when discussing this). Budget I guess I would say 75k but really know deep down in the end it could easily go well over a hundred. Other argument is with that kind of money you could get a nice start on a good skater or eliminator plus be safer. I guess is depends on how nuts I am and at this point jury's still out. You gotta just love when you heard about the donzi, mighty mouse and driver George Desmond running in the 120's that was a small boat, I've never had the pleasure of meeting George but everyone talks highly of him he's certainly impressed me with his work. I wonder what he could do with a merc 1350 and a m8 + a small boat. I love watching 22-27 ft vhulls running in LOTO and offshore racing its just exciting. Drivers require a life jacket, helmet, tether and box of underwear.

dereknkathy 09-29-2013 07:36 PM

anyway, the 24-7 is a bit squirrely above 70. it is a 45-ish year old hull design. and yours is shortened a foot and a half...dennis apparently cut some corners with rigging and components he installed, but it is a well laid up hull. but it is not a tripple nickel hull.

bowtie 09-30-2013 10:05 PM

I have a lot of experience with Avanti's and I can tell you you're wasting your money putting that kind of power in a 22. You'll have just as much fun jumping waves with 500hp or less. The 27 would be a better bet.

Boatally Insane 10-01-2013 09:07 PM

This guy is parting one out he claims runs 100...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...wer-motor.html