help with new motor swap questions >

help with new motor swap questions

Notices

help with new motor swap questions

Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with new motor swap questions

I just purchased a low hour 454 in the classifieds here and now I was hoping to get a little tech help here on what I need to drop it in my boat. My boat is a 1989 Formula 223ss that has a bravo 1 drive and had a 330hp merc motor with raw water cooling that is out now and in my garage. The new motor is a merc that had a bravo 2 drive and is fresh water cooled from 1993. I have not picked up the new motor yet but I am wondering what I need.... will I need stuff to make my boat hook up to the fresh water cooling? Is the drive coupling the same on the engine from bravo 1 to bravo 2? Will the electrical plug be the same from the two motors? I am getting every single part on the new motor from the motor mounts up to the spark arrestor, can anyone think of anything I will need or any complications I may run into?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help!
Bob
Old 10-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive coupler will be the same, bell housing is the same, mounts should be the same. Electrical harness will be the same. I'm not 100 percent on the fresh water cooling aspect but the bravo 2 engine also uses a sea water pump and the water to the heat exchanger should be all plumbed in if you're getting the motor complete. All you should have to do is hook the water, fuel, batt and exhaust up to it and be good to go. Oh and don't forget to align the motor.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as you have the room for the heat exchanger won't be a big deal at all, just feed water from the drive to the raw water pump as normal, rest should be all plumbed from there, need to used the newer manifolds if possible, they can be plumbed 2 diff ways depending on fresh water cooling kit, one runs the manifolds in antifreeze, 1 does not...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

im not sure what you mean by FRESH WATER COOLED.does the new engine have a heat exchanger ?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, fresh water cooled means running a heat exchanger and antifreeze in the engine and possibly the manifolds...the water picked up from the outside only cooler the heat exchanger and the coolers...
Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
yes, fresh water cooled means running a heat exchanger and antifreeze in the engine and possibly the manifolds...the water picked up from the outside only cooler the heat exchanger and the coolers...
i always called it a closed cooling system,that is why i asked the op if it has a heat exchanger.