Power Steering >

Power Steering

Notices

Power Steering

Old 08-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering

I have '93 502 Mag, Bravo. I have a leak in the power steering somewhere. Pump still works and the steering still seems to work fine. The lines from the pump go to the oil cooler and from the cooler to the booster and then back. The larger of the two lines from/to (?) the booster from/to the cooler had a tear in the rubber outer hose right where the line goes into the booster, so I am going to replace it. However, the "braided" part of the hose was not penetrated and this doesn't seem to be where the fluid is coming from. At any rate, could there be some kind of a problem in the oil cooler? Any other thoughts? Anyone? HELP!!!! Thanks.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off,the larger of the two lines is the fluid return to the pump.It should be the one going through the cooler.It is of lower burst pressure rating than the smaller high pressure line.The easiest way to trace a hard to find fluid leak is with an oil soluable tracer dye.They can be purchased at just about any good automotive supply outlet.Pour the dye into your resevoir and wait until you lose some fluid.A cheap "blacklight" bulb screwed into a trouble light will illuminate the dye in a darkened bilge.Just follow the dye to the source.If you still can't find the leak,pull the cooler off and pressure test the power steering cooler.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airpacker- thanks of the assistance. Well, I replaced the low pressure hose and fired her up. No leak yet- then I ran it out of gas!!!! After that I thought I would tidy up the engine compartment and I noticed that I have a weepy sea water pump!!!! Boats are cool.