Odd failure of exhaust hose >

Odd failure of exhaust hose

Notices

Odd failure of exhaust hose

Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Odd failure of exhaust hose

Last summer, when I changed my oil on my starboard engine, I noticed a slit in the starboard exhaust hose coming off the riser that goes out the back. I thought, no problem, I'll order a new one and replace. Well, that was about 4 months ago, and this past weekend when I winterized it, I noticed ANOTHER slit in that very hose I just replaced. This was a brand new hose. Is there something going on that could cause this hose to fail prematurely? It's not a big dollar piece, and not that hard to replace, but it's got me spooked that there is an underlying problem. There is nothing even near this hose that could cause the holes, like a belt or moving part. Both times it was on the top of the hose, about halfway from the riser.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Pic? Is the hose routed nice and straight to where it hooks up to the exhaust tip or Captain's Call diverter?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Straight shot! No CC. The hose is not in any kind of bind.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Hatch coming down and contacting it?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a chance that you replaced the old hose with the old hose and not the new hose? Pictures would be helpful.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the inside look like? If it looks overheated you may have a water flow problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Registered

I would figure if I had a water flow problem, the water wouldn't be squirting up through the hole (how I found the leak in the first place). Sorry, no pics right now. The boat is tucked away at our lake place. The old hose looked fine except for the quarter inch slit, just like the new hose, it showed no signs of heat related failure (black or burnt). It sits below the level of the riser, so the hatch would contact the riser before the hose. I guess it's possible that I goofed and replaced the faulty hose with the faulty hose, but I'm sure that after I installed the "new" hose, it wasn't leaking anymore. I thought it might have been the baffle (plastic piece in hose) but the leak ocurred several inches from the baffle. I guess I'm going to order a couple extra hoses, in case more than that one gives away. These are on a twin 496HO Advantage. Although the hose is not that hard to replace, anything else on these engines (read impellor), is an absolute BEOTCH to get to. Took me 8 hrs last spring to replace those.... I really need a boat monkey...LOL!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Try the blue silicone hose this time and see if you get the same result.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Registered

I really can't see that there is that much pressure on those hoses, it's not like I'm running a fire breather like some here. There should be little or no back pressure. But, I'll try the blue silicone hoses. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Registered

I recently replaced my leaking exhaust hose (well, about a month ago), and found the oddest thing. After an inspection of the hose, it looks like it is being worn from the inside. The only thing I can figure, is there is a pin point spray of hot water coming out of the riser focusing on a small spot on the inside. Looks like it has been water blasted out. I will try to get a pic this weekend, but other than the small worn spot, the hose looks brand new! I have only seen the one riser so I can't be for sure if it is the only one, but the end that goes into the hose looked crumpled instead of a smooth round horn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.