Starting problem on stock Mercruiser MPI >

Starting problem on stock Mercruiser MPI

Notices

Starting problem on stock Mercruiser MPI

Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Starting problem on stock Mercruiser MPI

Hi there, my first posting here, used to go to Team Baja Marine. I have a 2002 29' Baja Outlaw with twin 6.2 MPIs, 320 HP each.

I've had the boat for 7 years, never problems starting it. Two weeks ago I went to start it, could hear on the starter that the batteries were not fully charged, but it turned quickly enough I think. But there was no ignition when holding the key. But I noticed that when I let go of the key there was 1-3 bangs. So I opened the throttle slightly, turned the key, quickly let it go, and the engine started after I let the key go. Same with the other engine.

Then today I had charged the batteries for hours. Port engine started like normal, while turning the key fully, but starboard won't. It's the same as backtwo weeks ago, no ignition when running the starter, a few bangs after releasing the key, some up through throttle body, but not enough to start it.

Very strange. Both strange problem in itself, but also that it was on both engines, now only one of them.
I had the plugs out off the engine that can't start, all fouled, I cleaned them, but no change.

Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be way to simple...but maybe the battery(s) have given up the ghost. Some time they show full charge but can't deliver. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if your batteries are 7 years they should be replaced,you got your moneys worth from them.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
if your batteries are 7 years they should be replaced,you got your moneys worth from them.
One battery is 3 years old, one is 2 years old (replaced under warranty). Dark now, will try tomorrow to park the Jeep next to the boat and use that battery engine running. Boat is in my garden for the winter.

I would say though that I've experienced slow starters but this is different, starter is running fine, but no start as I told you.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Swap if port worked fine, swap S and P batteries to try to start S motor. Even batteries a cpl years old can die in cold wor replaceo eather. My truck did that.. started fine one day, had cold front come thru that night and nuttin!! Batteries will piss you off.. sometime they have just enough to say run radio and power everything,, crank up radio up and start having gremlins.. several hours later chasing wires and connections, decide to give up and replace battery and voila!!!

Last edited by nailit; 11-09-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Registered

I think the battery is ruled out. I had a car running next to the boat, cables to first one battery and the other disconnected, then vice versa.

Still the same: Runs very fast on the starter, but nothing ignites inside, as soon as I let go of the key so it pops back to ignition, 2-3 bangs (if I have the throttle a little open. I tried dumping some fuel down the throttle body, no change. Does the ignition work in different ways when key is in starter position? Faulty ignition switch? But why did both engines have the problem 2 weeks ago.

A mystery to me... Even crazy suggestions are velcome
Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

Did some more analyzing: Took a plug out and used the ignition wire from the coil (to eliminate the distributor), so I could see if there's spark. There are very few sparks, 2-3 seconds in between, until I let the key go, then there are 2-3 sparks very fast, just like described above. So maybe the coil? I took the coil from the other engine, result exactly the same, so it can't be the coil (unless they're both bad, but again, the port engine could start...)

What can it be? I have very weak and rare spark when trying to start, and then plenty of spark in the split second that I let go of the key.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have 6.2s. It doesn't sound exactly like the issue I had this summer as my starboard engine turned over fine but would not catch. It was the fuel pump relay that went "south."
I had the port relay replaced also incase its failure was not far behind. All is well now.
Good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered

check main harness connector to boat, clean pins, might need to open up pins. can't remember what ignition would be on that engine, if thunderbolt distributor check pickup module, if rust on it or grey color. test it, had this years ago, seems to be what it was. new pickup module is enclosed black plastic.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Registered

I can tell you I chased this for days in a similar circumstance. 454 mag MPI's.... Switching from one motor to the other ecu's, coils, batteries, ign. switches,you name it. Then started checking wiring. Behind the dash in a corner was a multi-wire plug. I pulled apart
Cleaned and she started right up.. Just a little corrosion is al it was on one of the pins..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.