Notices

850/900 hp

Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haxby, do you have a preference on throttle bodies and efi stuff? I think I'm running out of carb on my 598 and thinking I might just make the change to efi over the winter...
Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Man Steve (Tink), you've caused quite a feedback storm here, bro! Congrats on that new little puddle jumper you got!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have wanted to downsize for a few years. We can't go to lake Michigan because Patty is terrified of the potential for waves. If the boat starts to leave the water you can hear her over the open exhaust noise. She tolerates the speed thing for a while as long as it doesn't get too crazy.
We bought the Daytona to use on the local lakes and rivers ( mostly Hardy Pond ) I have had more fun in the first three outings with the Daytona than the Scarab has given in the last ten years. It just isn't a thrill anymore.
I bought the Daytona as a rather inexpensive ( relative ) entry into the CAT world. It needed a LOT of tender loving care and still needs more this winter. I just tend to do everything at once.
I am sick and tired of these engines with carbs. ( HP950's ) They don't have chokes so cold starting is a bit of a pain and I am tired of the compromise to get the engines to run safe on good days. ( not melt down ) And then they are fat on bad days.
It all depends on how the finances go in the next few months. Work has been crazy so money is good BUT I can't get stupid. I need to pressure test the headers that came with the Daytona ( I think they are leaking )
So the project for this winter at the very least is new engine hatch ( Eliminator Boats ), fix the gouges on the bottom of the sponsons where the previous owner ran into stuff ??? ( Who is good at these types of repairs - Should I just ship it back to Eliminator ? ), Redo the dash to accommodate a GPS speedo, Fuel injection, clean up and repair ALL of the wiring in the boat, A new -3 IMCO / BRAVO X upper ( in progress thanks to DICK TRYCE ) ...
Possible optional work ( IF the $ is there ) Add a Procharger.

I really don't want to go supercharged but staying NA just isn't feasible with my goals.
I would like to go up from 650 HP to 900 HP this winter and next year build a 598 long block that will produce 1300+ HP With a drive that might have a chance of handling the HP.
Some of this work I will be doing myself ( mechanical and electrical ) but a lot of it will be farmed out. ( Fiberglass and gel work )
Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

Thanks Mark
I hope things work out for You Too.
Maybe in a few years I will go up to a 30 Daytona or Skater with twins.
A 30 should be able to handle Lake Michigan. ( Patty won't be boating in a few years ) The boat may get stored for a while but while she can still enjoy it and getting out of the house I will stick with the 26.
Insurance should be better with a few years CAT experience under my belt. Just VERY thankful that my insurance company is insuring the 26 ( only because my ins. rep went to bat for me and that I have been with them since 1976 )
Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Registered

BLACK BAHA - I was planning on using the F.A.S.T. system but also would like to hear what his choice would be.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:52 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Haxby sells the Holley stuff,
Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
BLACK BAHA - I was planning on using the F.A.S.T. system but also would like to hear what his choice would be.
I've been looking at the fast stuff myself. Kinda nice that it comes in a kit... I think either way you go if you start from scratch and buy new it's gonna b 4g's when all is said and done.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Registered

I am just sick of screwing with carbs and cold starting. Could think of better things to use $4000 on.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:31 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I am just sick of screwing with carbs and cold starting. Could think of better things to use $4000 on.
EFI isn't always that simple
Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

I am pretty good with computers and once it is dialed in I shouldn't have to mess with it often. almost instant starts, NO raw gas smell on bad air days idling. No watching the EGT's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.