Notices

850/900 hp

Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I am pretty good with computers and once it is dialed in I shouldn't have to mess with it often. almost instant starts, NO raw gas smell on bad air days idling. No watching the EGT's.
We've been running aftermarket EFI in our boats since the early 90s, it's nice, I like it better than a carb, it's come a long way in the last 20 or so years. The software can be a challenge.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Haxby, do you have a preference on throttle bodies and efi stuff? I think I'm running out of carb on my 598 and thinking I might just make the change to efi over the winter...
Most of the throttle body's are similar in design. Once you get over about 850hp, the larger accufab stuff can be worth some HP though. I run the Holley EFI system on everything. In the entry level price range group, and even some of the more expensive systems, it is by far the most powerful, versatile, robust, and easy to use system out there. It's epoxy encapsulated, vibration and water proof, and coast guard certified. I have helped many people who have never used efi, get up and running with the Holley system.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I've been looking at the fast stuff myself. Kinda nice that it comes in a kit... I think either way you go if you start from scratch and buy new it's gonna b 4g's when all is said and done.
It depends on what you're doing, but that's close. You can get into a complete Holley HP system for a BBC including absolutely everything right down to the intake manifold gaskets for about $3200, and use your existing ignition, or add $200 for distributor and coil.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
It depends on what you're doing, but that's close. You can get into a complete Holley HP system for a BBC including absolutely everything right down to the intake manifold gaskets for about $3200, and use your existing ignition, or add $200 for distributor and coil.
What about using a crank trigger and LS style coil packs? Don't need the distributor at all if going dry sump.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thumbs up

Great info Haxby!