seeking trailer tire advice >

seeking trailer tire advice

Notices

seeking trailer tire advice

Old 03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by regalman4925
discount tire told me that the kumho 857s are no longer available, he called the distributor and that's what they said. I asked him what he recommended and he said the new Carlisle, I said I have read nothing but bad stuff about them. apparently in the last 2 years the came out with a new tire that is the radial trail rh, has anyone used these? now this is the thing that has me thinking about grabbing these, for 12 bucks per wheel there is insurance/warrantee that you can add to them that for 10 years cover the tire against anything and is based off of tread use. I have never seen or read about trailer tires having low tread, they are not used for steering or to propel anything so that's why they do not wear much, at least to my understanding from what I have read today. so if this warrantee works the way described, I should not have to worry about a trailer tire cost wise for 10 years
No but you'll be broke down on the side of the road waiting for a tow as July 4th weekend goes on by
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Go to E rated LT tires on 16" wheels.

or

Go to Maxxis E rated ST tires on 15" wheels.

Your local guy is trying to sell you what he can get you. He also only sells to local guys with local problems.

This topic is rehashed on this site every two weeks!
This.

Had BFG Commercial T/A's in a 16 on my last traialer and never ever had an issue after thousands of miles of towing. New trailer has 15" wheels and no room to upgrade to 16" and I blow tires like it's my job. Tried them all, had the best luck with marathons, but still blew two of those last year. One was an impact, so not entirely the tires fault, the other was a tread separation and covered under warranty. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had carlisle on my last trailer for my 25 and on my current trailer for my 32. No problems no blowouts but I check my pressures religiously before any long hauls.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of Michelin 275/65r20 that came on my new Superduty. I took them off and went to a bigger BFG tire. Can I find a set of 20" rims for my Myco and run these tires? Of course I'll have to buy 6 wheels and 2 more tires.